LX 450 gas tank leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My gas tank is leaking now. I have been keeping up a thread on my electrical issues (https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/472235-lx450-electrical-gremlins-help.html), which I finally figured out must be a clogged drain from the sun roof since I had standing water in passenger side floorboard and lots of surface rust under the dash. Any help there would be appreciated too!

Anyway, crawled under it last night and noticed the fuel filler neck and hose leading to the tank had been patched at some point on the underside it appears. There was also a small puddle of fuel under the front side of the tank dripping through one of the holes on the skid plate with a few small drops there. I park my LX on a small down hill incline, so it reasons that any fuel leaking farther back would find its way there.

My question is, what's the best way to diagnose this? Remove the skid plate? Could I tell if it is the neck of the fuel filler hose/tank connection or is there some other way? How hard is it to repalce the neck and fuel everything? Thanks,

Matthew

Same symptoms mine had. Next time you fill it up watch for dripping from the filler neck, also if you fill it till the pump clicks youll have some gas in the filler neck for a while and it may leak until the level goes down. Mine dripped right on top of the rear axle at the body xmember. To replace it I cut both pipes and staggered (important for rigidity) the cuts. I used parts of the old rubber hoses to join the pipes back together and its been good since. Im pretty sure they put the body on after the filler at the factory so Id venture to say its damn near impossible to get the pipes out without lifting the body up a little.

Mine was leaking from the bottom of the tank as well, gushing is maybe a better word. Put some cardboard under it over night to verify the tank is actually leaking. Wont really tell you where the leak is due to the skid plate though. After taking mine out I saw it was leaking in about 10 spots and was rotten to s***.

I recommend getting the tank and filler from a fellow mud member who lives in a nice place that doesnt pour salt on the roads all winter like I was lucky enough to do...

Hope this helps

D

Its leaking at the tank where toward the front of the LX. The filler neck and where it is connected to the tank are both ok. I got a bead on a tank, so hopefully I can get it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom