craigslist LX 450 $3500. What's the catch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX450
Mileage
Outside Link
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/d/big-lake-1997-lexus-lx-450-land-cruiser/7100552344.html

Hey guys found this one and going to look at it tomorrow. Is there anything that could make it NOT worth $3500? blown head, trashed interior, etc? He said the O2 sensor causes CEL, but other than that it seems like a deal. I will look for rust and other obvious things...opinions appreciated. Thanks!

OTRAMM and SLEE have good pre purchase inspection checklists (via video and website).

Check the VIN if you can, it's uncommon now to find one that hasn't been in since kind of accident. Thorough MX records are $$, hopefully current owner had been keeping up with it and is forthright.

Head gasket probably one of the more important issues to address, if that hasn't already been done, it's potentially a future you problem.

Rust is going to be a legitimate concern for that vehicle. Thoroughly look through the undercarriage/frame/suspension and exhaust components - if it's anything but mild surface rust, I'd walk away.

Check out the engine bay and undercarriage to look for obvious signs of oil and/or ATF leaks. Sweeper seals on the front axles are a good data point as well.

If you don't know the paper clip trick to read the ODB1 codes, read up on that, so you can pull them yourself.

Watch for the Overdrive light to flash to indicate an issue with the transmission. Typically this is a solenoid issue.

Lights in the dashboard/console are frequently burned out, not a show stopper, but irritating.

You'll have to check it out in person, bring cash and don't walk away unless you're sure you don't want it.

For $3500, if there aren't any other major issues, even with rust,
can't go too far wrong.

The upper rear hatch is bad. Zoom in and u can see Bondo patch in common rust through areas with repaint. Rust on rockers and door bottoms will be your area to search for..

Decided to pass on it. I don't wanna deal with anything that isn't rust free at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom