LV Headliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to attempt to install a SOR headliner & edge welting in my FJ45 LV . Looking for any one that has done this? tips, tricks, pics, videos

I’ve been trying to find someone near me in Maryland . Haven’t had any luck yet

Yeah, it’s becoming a lost art do to the last 30 years of cars not having traditional headliners. High end hot Rod shop might be a place to look.

High end hot rod shop=$$$$
Not trying to break the Bank on this one

I just had one done. It's a very well made headliner. I've done them before but didn't want to do this one, it's really not that hard though. Just make sure you number the bows as they come out and keep them oriented for left/right.

I'm now about halfway through trimming it out. I chose not to use the factory style welt. Doing this instead:

IMG_6392.JPG

Do I need to recreate the original wood tack strip? Unfortunately, I never paid attention to the order I pulled the bows out.

With most cars, the bows have a specific position, maybe the LV is less of an issue. I guess you'll find out. As for the tack strip, I chose to not even attempt to recreate them and went a completely different direction with the aluminum strips. I ordered them from McMaster-Carr (cheap!), then drilled, countersunk and painted them myself, as you see them.

I did mine using the specter welting , I used screws into the existing holes from the wood. It’s not too hard it just takes a lot of time. Hint do it on a warm day or heated shop so you can get it pulled nice and tight. Good luck

Did you glue around all the edges?

I paid $200 to have mine done.
Jeez, I paid 3X that. And yes, it's glued.

I'm happy they glued it because I would have had to use the factory style welting and the associated 200-ish screws to keep it tight. I really don't think I'm exaggerating by much with the 200-ish screw count, either. With the edges glued, I have maybe 12-15 screws down each side and 8-10 over the windshield and back hatch. Believe me, you don't want to risk having a screwdriver slip off of any number of 200-ish screws and go through your new headliner. As it was, the 50-ish that I did had me nervous as hell (and I came real close twice).

Last edited:
With most cars, the bows have a specific position, maybe the LV is less of an issue. I guess you'll find out.
All of the bows are different Lengths. They all fell into place with a little trial and error.

91CCFD34-0AB1-4802-8D78-A22C6358EE9A.jpeg

Do you have the screw in type bows or holes? I remember I had a hard time getting mine into the sewn in sleeves and had to grind them a little to make them fit.
I have the screw in type bows. I’ll have to be careful sleeving them in. ☑️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom