Lux the HiLux Build; 1989 LN106 3L Diesel Double Cab 4x4 5speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the post,

Currently looking for an e locker out of a 3rd gen 4runner (if anyone has a lead on a 4.30 e locker 3rd member, I can do 350 shipped)

I have also pulled the dash apart to figure the gauges (gas and tach aren’t working all the time, slap the dash and the tach works) but I know where to get the gauges out of a 92 pickup not perfect but I think I can at least use it for diagnostics and the clear plastic. Heater switch has been replaced!!!

I have also pulled a rats nest of not used wiring for fog lights that are long gone, and an amp that has disappeared!

While under the hood I found loose belts! The best part is the power steering belts are literally doing nothing. I will get that tightened this weekend.

Sorry no pics this time. Except this one, the celica and I will be in Grand Rapids this Saturday if anyone is close and wants to chat!

3AC00A2C-582B-40F4-8145-7E4F226C6D6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. I’m in a similar situation- traded in my 4Runner for a 1990 LN106 just last month.

What does your fuel gauge do? Mine will work fine from full to 3/4 but then wanders around near empty after that, but I’m pretty sure that’s a sender issue.

Do you still need one of those little nubs that goes on the end of heater switch? I may have some extras.

Fuel gauge does nothing, just on E all the time. And thanks but I now have a few extra heater switch knobs as well

With the rat's nest of wiring, loose belts, and general condition, I'd start by making sure that the wiring for the fuel gauge is continuous and connected at both ends.

Roughtrax4x4.com is another site to add for parts if it hasn't been mentioned. Especially the RHD and diesel applicable ones.

I’m looking for a double cab 84-88 Hilux in a casual sort of way. They are great trucks!

Here is one...a little pricey, but looks to be in great shape.

88hilux.jpg

Hey everyone!

So not much done on the Lux, I did find a rear 3rd gen locker! the outside is a little crusty but it feels nice inside! Issue was Grad School, Honey Do's and lack of funds after buying the Lux. Winter snow has come a bit early, So Now she is in the garage with the Celica, 4 motorcycle and a scooter in a very tiny garage... Pics Below....Please Ignore the sad fail of a Beard. Im currently failing at no shave November.

As you can tell I'll have little room to work so Not sure if Ill be doing anything at all this winter to the truck except preping for the Spring. Maybe Pulling off that push bar....

One thing I was thinking about. Im debating on filming and posting the build on youtube. Not planning to make a career on it or even make money on it, but I will build it, so why not film it. It wouldn't be Epic film, just done with an Iphone, Mic and a TriPod with some free video editing software and some no copyright music.... Would that be something Y'all would want to watch?! Let me know!

NCDL9889.JPG
PIFL8968.JPG

Hey everyone!

So not much done on the Lux, I did find a rear 3rd gen locker! the outside is a little crusty but it feels nice inside! Issue was Grad School, Honey Do's and lack of funds after buying the Lux. Winter snow has come a bit early, So Now she is in the garage with the Celica, 4 motorcycle and a scooter in a very tiny garage... Pics Below....Please Ignore the sad fail of a Beard. Im currently failing at no shave November.

As you can tell I'll have little room to work so Not sure if Ill be doing anything at all this winter to the truck except preping for the Spring. Maybe Pulling off that push bar....

One thing I was thinking about. Im debating on filming and posting the build on youtube. Not planning to make a career on it or even make money on it, but I will build it, so why not film it. It wouldn't be Epic film, just done with an Iphone, Mic and a TriPod with some free video editing software and some no copyright music.... Would that be something Y'all would want to watch?! Let me know!

View attachment 2130690View attachment 2130691

Id definitely watch that. Especially interested to see what’s required to get the e-locker to fit, since that’s on the list for my truck as well.

Here's my old '92. About to twin tranfer case it too. All built just gotta get it under.
Keep the faith ! The elockers just drop straight in, same units front and rear. I swapped my 3rds from front to back as the front had hardly any wear.
lux.jpg

Nice ‘Lux Hiluxster! Welcome to ‘Mud :flipoff2:

Thanks for all the reply's and encouragement, those of you with Hilux s Ill defiantly be asking questions.

Well lately i have been looking a lot at parts lately! So far I found I can get tail gates out of Europe!!! I also found a place in Canada that sell the bottom half of the front doors skins! I plan on getting 2 for the rear doors there is a little rust in them and I want them to last. The front doors I have a set in the bed (Which is why no scooters in the bed). I plan on ordering this stuff SOON! Probably in Feb when I get my next allowance of fun money (Budgeting... wise but not always fun)

I have also sold some Z50 parts... trying to fund the project. Also downloaded a video editing software going to start learning that. Hopefully this winter keeps being an easy one. Im ready to get started.

Here's my old '92. About to twin tranfer case it too. All built just gotta get it under.
Keep the faith ! The elockers just drop straight in, same units front and rear. I swapped my 3rds from front to back as the front had hardly any wear.
View attachment 2131742
I have the same truck..3l with aftermarket turbo.. i might be able to answer some questions..View attachment 2187312
nice truck Dude , I would love to turbo my truck I have the same one you probably seen it in this mud thread What kind turbo did you use.

Hey Everyone,

This is Captain Slow!!!! I decided to make a NEW profile.. More on that in a bit.

So it has been awhile, I have been cutting and welding rust left and right and would love for you to follow along if your interested. I decided not to do a youtube channel... Reason for no YouTube, well it was way too much work and it was honestly keeping me from what I love... Building. I literally created 2 decent videos that I never published and was like... This build will take me years if I have to edit video! And I want to drive this thing! To comprise I made Instagram account (nearly same name as this one, which is why the new iH8Mud account was made). Feel free to follow me there or follow the build on Ih8mud but under this NEW Form.

IH8Mud Hilux Build

Here is a link to my Instagram
BuildAndAdventure

View attachment 2131742
Did you do a build thread on the twin transfer case? Wondering where to source parts etc in Oz
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom