Lutz Auto Temp Gauge Alarm install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smritte

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had this for about a month and finally decided to install it. The quality is what I have come to expect from Lutz and the install was simple.
The question is though, would this have saved my engine from the complete nuclear meltdown about 4 years ago? The answer is "It depends". If I was driving, you bet. The alarm is loud enough to get through my horrible hearing (Bad Tinnitus). I also has an annoying pulse when it goes off. So yes, it would have probably saved me some money but, I wasn't driving the Cruiser at the time, my wife was. Lets put it this way, I get a call at work saying your POS Truck left me stranded and wont start. What I learned was she smelled coolant for three days, didn't notice the temp gauge, didn't notice the steam, didn't notice the check engine light and worse was she didn't notice the engine had stopped until she tried to change lanes. If I had the alarm, the call would have included the annoying beeping from the dash. BTW, she doesn't drive it anymore. Turns out, I missed that small stupid coolant hose under the intake. It cracked.

Enough of that. Install time.

The kit comes with 3 wires, terminals, module, alarm and a chunk of velcro.

1. Unpack and read directions. I installed the loop terminals onto the wires first.
2. Pull cluster and install wires (see pic below). I have two pics, one shows the wire attachment better (Lt pic)and second is how I positioned them when tightened (Rt pic).
Cluster1.jpg
Cluster 2.jpg

3. Reinstall cluster. I routed the wiring to the left under the AC vent. The module and alarm are mounted behind the switch panel.
4. Attach the three wires from the cluster and the alarm to the module. I Cut the wires down but left enough slack to pull cluster easily. I had to tin the wires (solder the ends) to get them to push into the terminals. Lutz has now added stiffer wire to the kit.
5. Unplug the temp sensor on the motor, turn on the key and press the button on the module to calibrate it to your vehicle. It will beep within about a sec. Assemble the box and mount. DO NOT FORGET TO RUN THE WIRES THROUGH THE BOX OPENING.
Board.jpg

6. I mounted both pieces to velcro in case I had to remove them (part of the kit). Their positioned to where they will come out with the cluster so I don't have to unwire anything.
Mounting.jpg

Now the only way to test this is to make the truck overheat. I tricked the gauge into thinking it overheated. This is a resistance box (pic below). I use it primarily for gauge testing. First I need to point out that I have the Diode Mod (forgot what everyone called it). My gauge has a smooth sweep and doesn't get stuck in the center. My gauge also runs high. The bottom of the red is about 225 degrees. That's where I got the alarm to sound.
The kit was designed for modified and unmodified gauges. That's what the calibration button was for.

resistance box.jpg

Final thoughts.
Easy to install, quality engineering and more piece of mind for me.

@Lutz Auto . Thanks for a great kit. I'm ordering one for my buddies truck as a late Christmas gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom