Lug Nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

South Texas 97

GOLD Star
Threads
This may be really obvious, but is a lesson learned for me.
PO put aftermarket rims on my trucj, but kept the spare with the original rim.
The lug nuts on the aftermarket rims are not the same as the original rims, and the lug nuts for the spare are in my glovebox. I did test that they fit correctly, after replacing the original spare that had gone bad.
I have had the tires on and off the truck a number of times in my driveway, and used tools from my workshop without a problem.
This weekend on the Flat Top Scenic Byway, a 65 mile gravel road, I came across a fellow traveler with a flat tire. I stopped to offer help. He did not have the hex key to remove the wheel cover. I got that resolved, only to find his lug wrench did not fit his aftermarket rims. And my lug wrench did not fit either.
It made me realize I had never used the trucks lug wrench on the aftermarket tires. And the hex key I had in the truck for the wheel cover did not fit either!.

Quick trip to the local auto parts shop and I picked up the right lug wrench and hex key needed for my aftermarket rims.

I’ve been in the same spot.
Had to pound a 18mm 12 point socket onto a weird sized wheel lock.
Check your lug nuts and your lug wrenches for a love connection.
Also make sure you have lug nuts that will hold your spare on.

This may be really obvious, but is a lesson learned for me.
PO put aftermarket rims on my trucj, but kept the spare with the original rim.
The lug nuts on the aftermarket rims are not the same as the original rims, and the lug nuts for the spare are in my glovebox. I did test that they fit correctly, after replacing the original spare that had gone bad.
I have had the tires on and off the truck a number of times in my driveway, and used tools from my workshop without a problem.
This weekend on the Flat Top Scenic Byway, a 65 mile gravel road, I came across a fellow traveler with a flat tire. I stopped to offer help. He did not have the hex key to remove the wheel cover. I got that resolved, only to find his lug wrench did not fit his aftermarket rims. And my lug wrench did not fit either.
It made me realize I had never used the trucks lug wrench on the aftermarket tires. And the hex key I had in the truck for the wheel cover did not fit either!.

Quick trip to the local auto parts shop and I picked up the right lug wrench and hex key needed for my aftermarket rims.
Good reminder.
Use it before you have to.

And not all lug nuts are created equal. I was in a pinch and had to source 12mmx1.5 black splined acorn style lug nuts for my aftermarket wheels at my local Autozone. Super flaky black paint chipped exposing shiny chrome after just one torque application.

Immediately ordered Gorilla brand - all gravy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom