Lug nut comletely stuck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
So I gotta go give a stealership some $. I had a flat tire yesterday and put on the spare. No prob's I think. Get it home and tire replaced and can't get a lug nut off the spare that's now on. WTF?

It turns about 1/4" out and ceases as if it's stripped (I don't believe it is...). Okay, a little oil a little heat and NOTHING. Eventually turn it past the point of no return and now it's not going anywhere in OR out. Hate this, but pull out my impact wrench: doesn't BUDGE. WTF? More impact wrench. Not a degree of turn.

How many times have all of us changed tires? 100s easy. Never seen something like this. I can't even think of how to duplicate this problem.

There's no way I could have stripped a lug nut and not noticed, or even been able to get it that far on! When it WAS turning off it wasn't off center or anything? Think a piece of metal or even a rock got lodged in there when I put the spare on and now it's inbetween the threads or something? I can't figure out what the !@#$ could keep this thing on like this!

To make things worse this was in a dirt parking lot and the bottle jacked slipped under the axle and beat up the rear brake line. F! Just to add insult to my lug nut injury: the Michelin split inside the tread, can't fix. Are the Michelin's supposed to be that bad or rot that easy?

No doubt I'll need a new stud pressed. More $ when I really don't have it these next few months. :crybaby:

3fj40 said:
So I gotta go give a stealership some $. I had a flat tire yesterday and put on the spare. No prob's I think. Get it home and tire replaced and can't get a lug nut off the spare that's now on. WTF?

It turns about 1/4" out and ceases as if it's stripped (I don't believe it is...). Okay, a little oil a little heat and NOTHING. Eventually turn it past the point of no return and now it's not going anywhere in OR out. Hate this, but pull out my impact wrench: doesn't BUDGE. WTF? More impact wrench. Not a degree of turn.

How many times have all of us changed tires? 100s easy. Never seen something like this. I can't even think of how to duplicate this problem.

There's no way I could have stripped a lug nut and not noticed, or even been able to get it that far on! When it WAS turning off it wasn't off center or anything? Think a piece of metal or even a rock got lodged in there when I put the spare on and now it's inbetween the threads or something? I can't figure out what the !@#$ could keep this thing on like this!

To make things worse this was in a dirt parking lot and the bottle jacked slipped under the axle and beat up the rear brake line. F! Just to add insult to my lug nut injury: the Michelin split inside the tread, can't fix. Are the Michelin's supposed to be that bad or rot that easy?

No doubt I'll need a new stud pressed. More $ when I really don't have it these next few months. :crybaby:

Yeah, I know the feeling. Some teenager a--hole crashed his rice-burner Acura/honda into my garage early friday morning (skidmarks going up the driveway up to the door, car took off immediately like a hit & run). The garage door split at the center seam, lower panel bucked up and out. One panel hit the rear bumper on my honda, which had been replaced w/ a new one 6 mo ago after a fender bender). The only thing that prevented further damage to the honda beyond scraped paint was the garage door panel stopped when it hit the spare tire on my kaymar bumper! I coudn't get out of the garage on friday (had to take the day off since the earliest I could get any repairman there was noon), and it cost me $800 for the cheapest roll up door. Insurance deductible is $1K, so nothing to claim there!

3fj40 said:
There's no way I could have stripped a lug nut and not noticed
.............................Think a piece of metal or even a rock got lodged in there when I put the spare on and now it's inbetween the threads or something?
........................ this was in a dirt parking lot :crybaby:

I think what you have said is the most likely situation, if you pull it and replace the stud, replace them all, as they get stretched over time.

It isn't that hard to cross-thread one of your lugs if you are in a hurry. My buddy runs a NTB and it happens alot.

Sorry to hear this. Here are my suggestions:

1- Do not ever, unless you are stranded far from home, use a bottle jack on a 3 ton vehicle. Go out and buy a nice jack and ALWAYS use that.
2- With the jack comes a removeable handle (if it does not buy one that does) that is about 16 inches long and hollow BUT very strong. Coincidentally, a 1/2 Craftsman ratchet fits VERY nicely into the the handle's hollow interior and, voila, you have leverage that will remove ANY lugnut.

If you have resolved that the stud is stripped, then just take off the nut regardless of the consequence i.e. stripped stud or even a broke stud.

I agree with you on the Jack, but this is the wifey's DD and new to us, so it is bone stock and no new stuff yet. As for the leverage, I had a 22mm impact socket on a 1/2" wrench with about a 4' breaker bar that would not break this nut loose even trying to break the stud.

At this point you may need to grind the lugnut off and plan on replacing the stud.

3fj40 said:
I agree with you on the Jack, but this is the wifey's DD and new to us, so it is bone stock and no new stuff yet. As for the leverage, I had a 22mm impact socket on a 1/2" wrench with about a 4' breaker bar that would not break this nut loose even trying to break the stud.

I'll have to keep this post handy when guys whine that they think Toyota's got weaker when they "downsized" to five bolt wheels.

UPDATE

I ran down to Right Toyota in Scottsdale. They used a heavy truck electric lug wrench on it and the stud broke cleanly off, they didn't charge me a dime :cheers: Sometimes it's just not worth my 3 hours of grinding and work (as I also had to get to work this morning), but rather 15 minute drive down to a shop.

Anyway, now just need to pull the hub and press in new studs. How hard is it to get the other studs out of the hub as suggested. Ive pressed new ones in but never taken working studs out before. Just pound?

3fj40 said:
Anyway, now just need to pull the hub and press in new studs. How hard is it to get the other studs out of the hub as suggested. Ive pressed new ones in but never taken working studs out before. Just pound?

This would be great material for a FAQ thread with pics. ;)

No kidding! The studs are what maybe a mm or so larger than the 80s? Damn strong these things are! I've never had to break a stud on my 80, but I'm quite sure the applied torque would have easily snapped quite a few on any of my old 40/55/60s etc.

3fj40 said:

righty-tighty, lefty loosey :flipoff2:

a four foot breaker bar should take care of business. i've sheared these things off with the lug wrench from the tool bag....

Jukelemon said:
Go out and buy a nice jack and ALWAYS use that.

Other than a high-lift (which I carry with teh 80 & 40), you carry around a floor jack? Curious what you would use. I did use the factory bottle jack obviously.

3fj40 said:
Other than a high-lift (which I carry with teh 80 & 40), you carry around a floor jack? Curious what you would use. I did use the factory bottle jack obviously.
By the way you stated the post, it seemed as if you consciously used a bottle jack in a non emergency setting. My point was that I would never use a bottle jack given a choice. Maybe I misunderstood you.

14mm x 1.5 thread pitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom