Lucus Transmission Condintionor: Will it do good or bad

Use it or not

• Give it a try it won't hurt

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Odds are it will do more bad then good

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 cruiser has a 196k on the clock and apparently the P/O flushed the transmission 60k ago. The transmission kind of shifts a little hard especially when its above 3,000 rpms and it thunks into reverse sometimes. The fluid looks okay not great but not horrible. I do intend of flushing the transmission when I have the time, I just don't think I will have any before school starts which therefore means it won't be till next summer. I saw this Lucus transmission conditionor at pep boys and quickly got in my phone and checked the reviews and they look great but i guess I'm just second guessing if I should put it in. Any thoughts? Also my fluid is reading full and the box says one bottle will do no harm but I just don't want to do anything to harm my tranny.

Thanks!

Kickdown cable controls how firm the shift is, more tension = firmer shift. Very easy to adjust.

I used that stuff in a couple of P38 Range Rovers that i owned a while back and also in a grand cherokee a year or so ago. It was getting huge reviews on the rangie site i use to frequent and i changed the transmission oil on both the same day. Cant say i noticed any difference personally. When it came to the jeep the original transmission had over 230k miles on it and i was just looking for a miracle in a bottle. It didnt make any difference. Im not sure if independent testers would vouch for it but for me i agree with @DARKNESS .

Yeah, if for some reason the kickdown cable is too tight it may explain the shift firmness.

If you pull your tranny fluid dipstick is the fluid bright pink or brown? If it's brown, swap the fluid. Additives aren't going to cure burned out fluid.

I just used AMSOIL transmission fluid and the truck runs fine, even after being parked for two years...

Yeah, if for some reason the kickdown cable is too tight it may explain the shift firmness.

If you pull your tranny fluid dipstick is the fluid bright pink or brown? If it's brown, swap the fluid. Additives aren't going to cure burned out fluid.

It's a faint pink... It's definitely not brown. I'll attach a pic tomorrow

Wipe the dipstick on a paper towel and check the color of the stain on the paper towel, its easier to see the color that way.

This is like a year or so after swapping the fluid. Still nice and pink.

image.jpeg

If it clucks going into reverse that is usually sign of u joints, I'd check the tranny cable as suggested nipple on cable should be out of the tunnel or end by 1mm

If it clucks going into reverse that is usually sign of u joints, I'd check the tranny cable as suggested nipple on cable should be out of the tunnel or end by 1mm

I will check tomorrow.

Thanks!

That I belive is exactly how mine looks. I will go verify in the morning. If my memory is correct can I put this project on the back burner and do it later? I will also look at the kick down cable too.

Check the level too, it can behave weird if the level is low or high

Mine looks more on the brown side and it runs fine. The clunk went away with grease on the driveshaft and u joints...

What is the best way to initially rig the Tranny kick down cable? Just slack at idle throttle position?

To check the level the transmission has to be warm (drive at least 15 minutes) and the engine has to be on to get an accurate reading. The FSM also says to move the trans shifter through each gear right before checking.

I have used it and it helps for sure. However it is not meant to fix a broken tranny. warm it up as before install as it is very thick. It also takes awhile for it to break in and absorb into the tranny. Usually you have to drive it awhile for it to blend with the atf.

like others have said, make sure all the other adjustments are set up correctly. Adjusting the kickdown cable made a huge difference on my tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom