Lucky 3B/H55 acquisition! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While Onur works his magic doing some work on the new 84 BJ45 i set out on a short search for H55 to put in the troopy this winter. There is a suspicious knock and somewhere down the line the current engine will need some work. So why not try and find a 3B the wife and I can learn from while rebuilding it!

I queried a few mudders but they either didn't have what i wanted yet or it wasn't the right situation. Then on a whim I texted a local friend who I haven't chatted with in a year who has an Aussie diesel rig. Told him my plan and he mentions a mechanic locally who just removed a 3B/H55 combo out of a BJ42 for a Cummins swap (still doesn't make sense to me). The rather well to do Bj42 owner just left the set up from his Cruiser Solutions restored rig with the mechanic who did the swap. The PO wife didn't like the smoke when it was cold ( cause it's never cold here in the mountains of CO) and some of the recurrent fuel leaks.

So the odds of ever getting anything useful for a Landcruiser much less for a BJ45 in Steamboat Springs, America where Subaru's and Audi's reign are like one in a million chance!!

Called the owner of the shop and indeed he had it all. He told me $3500 for everything. Of course I had to test his asking price so I told him how about $3000 since my wife was going to kill me if i bought it. Well he said $3500 again so i said let me think about it, 20 minutes later he texted me saying he would take my offer. I was dumbfounded and literally couldn't believe what had happened. Well needless to say I delivered cash the next day after work, today I picked up the goods and they are safely in the shop.

Now the fun begins. Hope to send tranny/xfer case to Georg at Valley Hybrids and have him go through it. In meantime I am going to start picking it apart with my nose in the manual learning all I can. Thank God Onur just posted all his work which will undoubtedly be a huge source of info and inspiration.

Last edited:
4C5F8C14-2553-4339-BF58-888F871108E5.jpeg
14E1B048-0A78-4A22-910F-B11B6B7C6165.jpeg
629BDE5B-8D52-46A9-8526-4946E7BB98B0.jpeg
5D8855FE-DF44-4057-BA04-1174C83D96BA.jpeg

Wow.. complete with turbo, A/C compressor, power steering.. Well done!

Wow.... nice upgrade in the works. You’re setup for air conditioning too.

Last edited:
Wow nice work!!!! Looking for 5spd for my 42 currently. I have a 60 series 5spd but would like to find one from 40 series for ease of swap.

So the odds of ever getting anything useful for a Landcruiser much less for a BJ45 in Steamboat Springs, America where Subaru's and Audi's reign are like one in a million chance!!

So you are living in a small Colorado Ski town, looking for a 3B/H55 and it's a million to one chance...

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

YOU PULLED IT OFF!!!

Daughter likes the "blue Whale", bluenicorn has unique ring to it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom