Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so the 4:88's didn't work the miracle I was hoping for and give me the oodles of more snap that I was pursuing. That being said I'd like to take my snoring 3FE another level and look into improving engine performance. After 200K miles I must question the EFI system. There was alot of response to my inquiry of Lucas Additives and a few commented on their satisfaction of their fuel injection cleaner so should I give it a go?

First off, is your transmission throttle cable adjusted properly? If not, that is going to give you the biggest bang for you buck (free). If it isn't, your engine won't be getting up to a decent rpm before up-shifting, leaving you will that slow feeling. Tuned up nice? Filters? Cap and rotor? How's the timing (advancing it a bit gives some extra get-up)?

I've run Sea Foam through my fuel every once in a while, and sucked it into the intake as well. Can't say I've noticed much one way or the other. Someone has reported a noticable improvement after a Walmart injector servicing. I had my truck out for a real work out last weekend (about 20 hours of mountain highway driving with a trailer, lots of time spent at full throttle above 3000rpm), and it is running noticably smoother and stronger as a result of this "italian tune-up".

Might be time to check the compression if you think the engine lacks power after a tuneup.

Might be time to check the compression if you think the engine lacks power after a tuneup.

If the compression checks out it is definitely worth pulling the throttle body and cleaning it. I usually go as far as pulling the air purge tank and having the injectors cleaned and calibrated. Idle is noticeably smoother, response is much better and there is more power.

I'm trying to get a bit more out of mine too at 180K. 4.88s help but they're not the magic bullet and I'm thinking there isn't one.

I got super excited about the fuel pressure regulator thing with the loose nut but found that it is designed to go in and out. If it's all the way unthreaded screw it back in all the way and that might help you but it didn't do anything for me.

I had my valves adjusted, new cap, wires, and replaced the gas filter about 10K miles ago and thought that would be an awesome gain but again nothing noticeable. Still feels good to check it off the list for preventative maint. I plan to check the valves again now that I've gained my jr. wrencher merit badge. (finished my first tub of orange pumace!)

I adjusted the kickdown cable, rodney flushed and replaced the tranny with dex 6 synthetic and added an aux fluid cooler in series. I've convinced myself that was the most significant change in driveability but maybe subliminally that one just eased my mind the most about kicking the gas to the floor in this 20 yr old rig. Before I was starting to set off the dummy light on mountain highways.

I've got no codes, just did new plugs oil, filter, am running k&N and just passed CA smog by a pretty good margin so maybe it's just as good as it gets. I haven't checked my compression but figure if I had a lot of blow by I'd be idling funny or throwing a check engine light.

My next try for a magic bullet is advancing the timing a bit but I tow sometimes and don't want detonation so I'm not going past 11. Plus there's no real consensus on where to set it.

Anyway, if you feel the injector cleaner does anything let me know cause I'll give it a shot. Certainly a hell of a lot easier than most of the $#!+ I've tried.

For that matter, if anyone has any other tuning tips please please post em up.

My last 62 had sat a while and ran like crap when I first got it. Did all the normal tuneup stuff (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter), but some FI cleaner was the best tuneup I gave it. Get the good stuff, it is worth it the first time around.

BG 44K seems to get the nod from the 80s guys, I've never used it myself.

grab some BG 44K to clean the fuel injectors.

Another vote for BG44K, the only injector cleaner I use. Had several "good" mechanics recommend it to me as well.

Some info on 44k and shops near you that stock it...
BG Findashop

BG 44K seems to get the nod from the 80s guys, I've never used it myself.

x4 A friend had good results with it. Seafoam into intake manifold and a italian tuneup (floor it) would be a good start.

more snap...

you realize it is a 3fe right?

more snap...

you realize it is a 3fe right?

That is what I was thinking reading this thread. These motors go, they just go at their own pace.

First off, is your transmission throttle cable adjusted properly? If not, that is going to give you the biggest bang for you buck (free). If it isn't, your engine won't be getting up to a decent rpm before up-shifting, leaving you will that slow feeling.

Best advice ever!! Definetly worth a check.

ok, so maybe I'm trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The tuneup is freah, air and fuel filters new, and the exhaust has been opened up and the caddys are now used to anchor my boat. She does have a nice little romp and acts like she wants to jump off the ground when I stomp on it but then just sort of puts along after that initial "punch" so that's why I'm thinkin' bout cleaning out the injectors- I'm off to find that stuff your all talking about and will let you know how she comes out! thanks.

I was the one that promoted the Walmart FI service!
Im telling you...for 20 bucks...I noticed some gain where I didnt think that I would.

Just my .02

Then again...as mentioned...it is a 3FE with an auto.

Chicago

Okay so the 4:88's didn't work the miracle I was hoping for and give me the oodles of more snap that I was pursuing. That being said I'd like to take my snoring 3FE another level and look into improving engine performance. After 200K miles I must question the EFI system. There was alot of response to my inquiry of Lucas Additives and a few commented on their satisfaction of their fuel injection cleaner so should I give it a go?

I used it on my 04 Honda Accord and it made it run real rough. Had to drive around to burn off fuel and then fill it up again. I'll Never use it again on my Accord.

But who knows, maybe it'll work o.k. with yours.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom