Lubrication/grease points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing you can try if the slip yoke is overgreased is to remove the zerk, then drive up & down a curb or 5mph speed bumps. If there's excessive grease in there, it should ooze out.

isn't there a fitting you have to remove to alleviate the pressure normally only 3 pumps is recommended
If the shaft hasn’t been lubed for years, it takes a lot more than 3 pumps.

If the shaft hasn’t been lubed for years, it takes a lot more than 3 pumps.

The U joints took 3 pumps before I saw old grease oozing. The old stuff was black and my new grease is Green Grease.

The slide joints...I stopped at 20-30 and didn’t see any movement or exuding. I’m assuming this is the first greasing in 15 years.

How can I tell if the slider is overgreased?

What’s the total capacity of grease (pump units) in the slide joints?

How do you remove the zerk?

remove the zirk at the base with 6 or 8 MM , anyone familiar with the exact size. If u joint only took 3 sounds like it was regularly serviced

remove the zirk at the base with 6 or 8 MM , anyone familiar with the exact size. If u joint only took 3 sounds like it was regularly serviced

Does the zerk removal require a special tool? Or a basic 6/8mm wrench ?

should be basic

7mm..I opened up the zerk and saw the green grease but nothing spilled out. I jacked up the rear 20” but nothing...then lifted the front with nothing extruding. Lifting it didn’t seem to compress the slide joint - note it is still in “N” drive

Is it possible that it was empty and is still not full after 20 pumps?

I’ll keep the zerk open and drive it a few miles tomorrow

Last edited:
7mm..I opened up the zerk and saw the green grease but nothing spilled out. I jacked up the rear 20” but nothing...then lifted the front with nothing extruding. Lifting it didn’t seem to compress the slide joint - note it is still in “N” drive

Is it possible that it was empty and is still not full after 20 pumps?

I’ll keep the zerk open and drive it a few miles tomorrow

Hm nothing came out of the slide yoke after removing the zerk and driving for a few blocks. I guess it was empty??

It's been 2 years but I think mine needed like 40-50 pumps to start moving. Then I pumped until fresh grease came out of the shaft. When I removed the pump, some grease came spewing out of the zerk. Maybe you just need to pump more? Now with all of the mud analysis, I stop when the shaft starts expanding, I don't keep pumping until grease comes of the shaft anymore.

That video had some good information - I wish he wasn't shouting the whole time, but I get it; work around tools without hearing protection, and you think nobody else can hear either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom