Lubing speedo cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
What methods have you guys used when you've had to lube your speedo cable? Typically I've used a mix of lithium grease and graphite powder (worked great in my old Plymouth), but given that Toyota cables come pre-lubed from the factory, I'm not sure if that'll be the best way to go for my 62. The current cable was installed new in 2011, so I find it odd that my speedo is bouncing like crazy now (has been since last fall), but I'm hoping that if I can lube it I can save myself the hassle of changing it out again.

Don't know much about the 62s, but you can get a gizmo from motorcycle shops that makes lubing a cable easy.

In the old days, you could find speedometer cable lube at parts stores. It was very runny - like barely gelled grease. I used spray Lithium grease (the sort sold for door hinges and hood latches) on my '62 and it worked well. In summary: use the lightest grease you can, and clean off all the old grease from the cable beforehand. Looks like Amazon has a wide assortment of cable lubes.

I bought this lube for my for Ford pickup driveshaft splines, and it's super soft - like whipped frosting. I will use this next time: Amazon product ASIN B000NU77DA

Cycle Gear on Sprague by Home Depot, I got a can of PJ1 cable lube & an applicator there a few years back & it works like a charm on every cable I own.

Cycle Gear on Sprague by Home Depot, I got a can of PJ1 cable lube & an applicator there a few years back & it works like a charm on every cable I own.
What was the applicator? Something like this?

Get speedhuts gauges and you’ll never have to worry about this again
2D853ED6-D813-4B6B-A285-C854E64B53F0.jpeg

Hmmmm, pull speedo cable from transmission and gauge cluster.
Put cable end from dash into drill chuck and turn drill slowly, spraying down the cable sheath
liberally with any of lithium, greaseless, or Moovit type liquids spray you might have. Spin it slowly
until it’s spinning freely. Cost —- & 30 min of time.
Or hey, $1000 for GPS stuff. Sorry, being facetious

Get speedhuts gauges and you’ll never have to worry about this again
View attachment 2073618
Those are actually on the list for a future mod. Definitely if I can get a Vortec conversion in the next couple years. Meantime all my stock gauges work great (save for my issues with my speedometer), and I want to still have my own test bed for my solid state voltage regulator project while it's being developed. I love the idea of a more reliable and smooth set of gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom