1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LT1 engine conversion

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by lumberjack, Mar 7, 2004.

1. lumberjack

lumberjack

Hello All

I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped an LT1 engine into an fj80 or more specifically a 1994 LT1. I have the opportunity to purchase an LT1 for a great price :D and have wanted to put a V8 in my 1991 fj80 for quite some time. If anyone has any information on this conversion or has ever done it, I would love to talk. Or post what ever you know about the engine. I would much appreciate it. :beer:

Thanks

2. lagwagon

lagwagon

I am installing a TBI350 in my '91 FJ80 just like http://www.geocities.com/~jjjoutside/chevmenu.html
    LT1 mounting and such is the same but the wiring harness is different. The best way to do the harness is buy the Howell Engineering harness. I have the adapter you need for the install for sale as I have decided on installing a 5 speed. There are also specialty parts available from Extreme Trans on this board including a torque converter and valve body. People I have talked to that have done this conversion are glad they did.

3. Lars

Lars

I can second the Howell recomendation. I have purchased two EFI wiring harnesses through them and they make engine swaps sooooo much easier! I can remove or install the wiring harness on my 350 TBI in about 5 minutes. Very much plug & play.

lagwagaon,
    What 5 spd are you going to use?

4. lagwagon

lagwagon

I want to use the Toy H55F and 38mm splitcase. Possibly dual t-case. I like the setup better than the NV4500.

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

Lumberjack,

I can't help with your questions but I have a comment and a question. A guy in our local club recently acquired an LT1 and he's in the process of installing it in his FJ40. That is a beautiful engine and, for a Cheby V8, it is very trick in it's stock form.

Can I ask where you found your LT1 engine and how much you paid for it? The reason for asking is that engine and it's L99 derivative seems to be an excellent choice for a swap into just about anything... FJ40, FJ55, or FJ80.

-B-

6. Lars

Lars

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12701;start=msg116883#msg116883 date=1078707489]
    That is a beautiful engine and, for a Cheby V8, it is very trick in it's stock form.
    [/quote]

Unfortunately it has one horrible design. Do a google search for 'optispark' and you will see the trouble it has caused others.

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Alan Podvin had an LT1 in his 1st 80. it was a 91/2. IIRC he also used the GM trans and a stock transfer.

8. 4RUNNERJADE

4RUNNERJADE

what about in a 1993 ,?

What Would i be up against there,off hand,any one with HELPFULL info ?please.

9. Lars

Lars

[quote author=4RUNNERJADE link=board=2;threadid=12701;start=msg117554#msg117554 date=1078799329]
    what about in a 1993 ,?

What Would i be up against there,off hand,any one with HELPFULL info ?please.
    [/quote]

The computer controlled tranny is one of the issues I had when I was pondering a V8 swap.

10. lumberjack

lumberjack

Well thanks for all the info so far everyone, every bit of information helps. My biggest problem is that I have the fuel injection LT-1 I was told it came out of a 1994 corvette or camero. I have the computer and the wiring harness that was used with it. I am worried about what the best way is to mesh it with a stock 80 harness or if it will even work. Also is this engine good enough for towing. Also does anybody know where to find the torque and horsepower specs of this engine? For the question where did I get this engine? A fellow friend of mine received it when he purchased a project fj40 and my friend does not plan to use it.

11. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Um,

All LT1's are multi-port injected. :rolleyes:

Blending the GM and Toyota electronic controls will be a challenge. As the LT1 is a passenger car application, it may not be "best suited" for towing applications. A GM "truck" motor may fit the bill better. (how many Corvettes tow big boats?) ;)

FWIW, a supercharged 1FZ has "around" 400 lbft of torque and it can talk to the transmission just fine.

D-

12. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

There goes Dan trying to sell TRD parts again! :doh:

For an engine swap like the LT1 you want to keep the Toy and GM harnesses as separate as possible; there's no good reason to intreface engine vs accessory wiring. This shouldn't be hard based on what I've seen (I'm helping on the wiring on the LT1 Beowulf mentioned).

13. Beowulf

Beowulf

Lumberjack,

The LT1 engine was designed for a lot of torque that comes on very early in the power band. As C-Dan said, they're all fuel injected. I've seen a stock power curve somewhere on the 'net so keep Google-ing till you find what you want.

There are a couple of guys in the FJ40 section that are running this engine but I don't think anyone that is active in the 80 section has done an LT1 swap in an 80. You'll want to give strong consideration to using the 4L60E GM automatic transmission and install the torque converter out of the S10 truck application as it has a higher stall speed.

Swapping a 1FZ-FE for an LT1 will be a big project. You really need to find out what vehicle the engine came out of and buy the FSM for that application. Then get the FSM and EWD for your truck and start hittin' the books.

-B-

14. lagwagon

lagwagon

Mark's also sells an adapter for '93 and later 80s but IMHO I would never remove a 1FZ to put in a chevy V8. I would NEVER replace a Toyota auto with any chevy auto.

15. lumberjack

lumberjack

hello

Thanks everyone for the info again.

Well that is what I figured on the power begining sooner in the power band with this engine. See now I have the 3F-E (NO POWER ???) from what I have read only about 155ps so this is why I need a V8. Everyone that I have ever talked to about the 3F-E says it is not worth rebuilding and I would be better off with a V8 Conversion. So I figure that It will be better to invest in a salvaged Vortec truck then mess with this LT1 from what I am gathering.

16. Lars

Lars

[quote author=lumberjack link=board=2;threadid=12701;start=msg118165#msg118165 date=1078881707]
    So I figure that It will be better to invest in a salvaged Vortec truck then mess with this LT1 from what I am gathering.
    [/quote]

Now you are talking!

There is a yahoo group called Vortec Cruisers. They should be able to help out quite a bit. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VORTECcruisers/

I wouldnt be concerned with getting the whole truck.... just make sure the engine is complete as possible. Make sure you have all the accessories, computer, the fuel lines, all elements of the air filter system. Sensors, especially the 02 sensors as they can add up $$$. If it were me, I would buy an aftermarket wiring harness rather than f around with the harness out of the donor vehicle.