LS3 Cruise Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PCC

Threads
My rig is currently in the middle of a swap. Just curious if anyone has found a way to install "cruise control" for an LS3. I searched the forum but couldn't find any info.

Kind of defeats the purpose of this forum. I'm not interested in spending $300-$500 after a google search displays a solution that may or may not work. I'm interested in gaining insight from those that have already found a solution or have experience/knowledge regarding the issue.

If that was simply humor .... keep your day job ;)

Last edited:
I intend to get my CC system working eventually in my LS 5.3 swapped FJ60. Mine is DBW and from what I gather, it's pretty simple to get working since it's basically sending signals down the right wires.

I plan to purchase this universal stalk, but I'm not 100% it will work, as it may be switching incorrectly. Might have to use some relays to get it working right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQTSIC...olid=1QYYPLNBVR1I7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And more info: Drive By Wire Infomration Vortec Engines

Reactions: PCC
I've gotten it working on an Gen III engine. There's a thread about it somewhere. I assume the LS3 is similar. 3 wires to the ECM for on/off, set/decel, disable/accell. I have one toggle switch and two momentary push buttons for the other two. Cruise control is very particular about the inputs from the brake - and torque converter control is part of this if you have an automatic transmission. there are two wires to the ECM, 1 each for TC enable/disable and for CC enable/disable. I forget exactly how it works, and you can find it around, but cruise control and TC lockup require different signals that are either +12 or gnd and can't float - that is, when it's not +12, it has to be grounded, it can't be nothing. You can buy a brake light switch that does all this correctly - which I have on one rig, or use a normal brake like switch and a relay - which I have done on another rig - to generate all the signals. It was so hard to dial in that I ended up having leds on one rig that showed if the brake was engaged or not - which were also the outputs to the TC and CC. Having an intermittent or 'bouncy' brake like switch is not okay when running an auto trans.

In the end, I had to use HPTuners to monitor all the inputs to the ECM to get it to work. But now that it works, it works great.

With the LS3, you should be in GenIV territory, which means there aren't any cheap & easy cruise control options (that I've found). I think the Dakota Digital CRC-1000 looks like the easiest to install. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you need the BCM from a donor vehicle and figure out how to wire it all up. You could easily spend more than the $345 price in time & parts trying to make it work.

Kind of defeats the purpose of this forum. I'm not interested in spending $300-$500 after a google search displays a solution that may or may not work. I'm interested in gaining insight from those that have already found a solution or have experience/knowledge regarding the issue.

If that was simply humor .... keep your day job ;)

Maybe you could get the guy building your truck for you to figure it out.

How’s that for humor?

Who is doing the swap?

If I was paying someone I would absolutely expect they would know how to setup cruise control.

As above this isn't specifically a "cruiser" related question, so you might have better luck searching on LS forums.

Depending on your skill level and how far you want to go... when I was doing a cruise control install I swapped the entire steering column from a car which had it as factory. That way I get a factory cruise control switch as part of the column as opposed to an aftermarket stalk (I struggled to find a stalk which matched the standard cruiser stalks)

So if the person who is doing the swap knows perhaps ask them?

I wasn't having a go, just suggesting if you're paying someone to do a job they should know to do simple things like cruise control.

I don't mind helping people who are attempting work themselves, but it's a bit annoying effectively helping someone who is being paid to do a job (I mean we give you the answer, so you tell the mechanic who then gets paid for being given the answer. He should research this on his own time).

Anyway the answers above should give you a pretty good idea

Reactions: PCC
So if the person who is doing the swap knows perhaps ask them?

I wasn't having a go, just suggesting if you're paying someone to do a job they should know to do simple things like cruise control.

I don't mind helping people who are attempting work themselves, but it's a bit annoying effectively helping someone who is being paid to do a job (I mean we give you the answer, so you tell the mechanic who then gets paid for being given the answer. He should research this on his own time).

Anyway the answers above should give you a pretty good idea

I appreciate your answer and understand . For clarity, the individual doing my swap is well known to those who frequent this forum and provides lots of advice for those seeking answers.

Last edited:
I ask questions all the time for the shop that does my work. They work on a variety of cars (hot rod shop) and can do anything, but if I show up with all the parts, and am able to tell them the things that have to be done for a particular job it saves them time and then it save me $$. Knowing that you have to relieve the bell housing in two places to put an H55 in an 83 and a few other peculiarities is much better to know when you start the job. Try starting a conversation about a weber carb on here....whooo weee does that bring out the indignant responses in some, lol. Not to rub it in to you purist, but my weber 38 runs great...I even idle at the factory spec of 650-700. :)

I have asked a question in the 80 forum about my 94 80 with a blown head gasket i used the search function with no luck i think i maybe cpu stupid or smartphone stupid in my case anyway got no help in that section even said i know i was beating a dead horse o well ls swap it is for the 80...

If you check eBay or junk yards, you can source a DBW cruise module from any GM pickup. Probably less than $30. Make sure you get the pigtail.

It will mount right on the firewall, same place it does on a pickup—right by the drivers side hood hinge

Then call ROSTRA and they can direct you to the right stalk and brake switch and how to wire it to the cruise unit you get. I did have to add a relay as directed by rostra, which they provided, and all functions work flawlessly. It set me back under $100 for everything on my DBCable, so I can’t imaging DBW would be any more.

I used Switch part no 250-3743.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom