LS2/LQ9 Swap - Video and Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the most part, I am finally done with an LQ9 motor swap into my 92 FJ80. The motor is basically an LS2 for the truck (different intake, and iron block). Other than that, very similar. ...roughly 350 HP and 380 Ft. Lb. of torque.

All in all, I am super happy with the swap. Although it turned into more than I wanted to spend and took months longer, it was definitely worth it. The exhaust note alone is worth every penny...but I am a bowtie guy at heart.

Here is a short video of some revs, drive shots, etc...sorry for the editing. A few picutes below as well.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/dimasokolov/Audi A4/?action=view&current=LQ9Swap.flv

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/playe...m/albums/y165/dimasokolov/Audi A4/LQ9Swap.flv">
Audi A4 :: LQ9Swap.flv video by dimasokolov - Photobucket

IMG_8505.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

A huge thank you to Matt and Tony at LCNW.

So what tranny are you running? Transfer case? More details please.

So what tranny are you running? Transfer case? More details please.

The tranny is an early 4L60E (non-pulse width modulated). It bolts right up to the motor, after some minor mods to make the newer GM flexpate work with torque converter. The tranny is then mounted to the stock transfer case using what I think is a Mark's adapter. The PO bought the adapter, so I am not 100% sure.

In all retrospect, anyone considering this swap should likely use a 4L80E. These transmissions are bulletproof for the most part. I went with the 4L60E simply because I had it rebuilt and already adapted to the transfer case, before I ever bought the LQ9.

The biggest pain during this entire process was the ECM. I had to have a local tuner spend 5+ hours to determine how to overcome challenges of running an older 4l60E (non PWM) with a newer ECM...one needed to run the motor.

That is a really nice conversion. Its looks like everything is really easy work on. What was the grand total if you mind?

Wow, Looks great, very clean, shifter looks stock. I would have never thought that it had a 3fe prior. Did all the work in the garage?

How did you get that beast out?

That is a really nice conversion. Its looks like everything is really easy work on. What was the grand total if you mind?

Between the truck, motor, lift, wheels/tires, etc., I think I am into it for just under $10K. Not bad if you think abou the fact that it relatively inexpensive for a daily driver...discounting gas of course.

The poopy part now is all the bells & whistles I KNOW I want...like a double DIN DVD player, stereo system, nicer and more comfortables seats in the front, bumpers, etc.

Sweet! I love the sound of a modern SBC. How about an in-cab video clip?

Thats a simple solution to stock gears and 35" tires...nice.

All accessories work?

Thats a simple solution to stock gears and 35" tires...nice.

All accessories work?

The only accessory currently NOT hooked up is A/C. I do however have the compressor installed, and just need to have some new lines plummed.

The other piece I am still waiting on is an alum. shroud for the fan. My buddy is building one, but has been bogged down with a house he is building.

Sounds SOOO GOOD!!

What sort of mileage are you getting with that setup?

All be it a s***ty photo, here is a closer view of the center console -->

IMG_3401.jpg

As for MPG, I was seeing around 11. However, I just had a local tuner (Wong's Performance) work on the programming and he told me that the TCC was not locking up, which adversely impacts economy. I am hoping to see 15 MPG. But being honest, MPG is a distant second behind performance, otherwise I would have gone with another setup.

Pretty cool.
The LQ9 and LS2 do have more differences than those described though.

Every time I see swaps like this my future diesel swap swings back to a big chevy V8 swap.... dang you :grinpimp:

I miss my chevy V8's.

The projector headlights are also growing on me. I think I might have to get some.

Nice Job. So how's the "seat of pants" effect with that motor in there?

Those rims are the sickest out there. Well Done.

I am jealous.....When I stomp on it my truck tells me to go f myself and drinks all my gas.....

I like the V-8, the updated grill, lights, and the sick wheels. Now all you need is a Metal Tech or Bump It Offroad front tube bumper and 4x4 labs rear. :cheers: to a nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom