Builds LS2 L76 V8 and 6L80E Swap in 1997 40th FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks HGiles! Does anyone on here know of any Cruiser trail rides that are local to VA. Hope to get her a little dirty in the not too distant future.

There is nothing Cruiser related that is close, not really any close 4wheeling either. You are close to Big Dogs Offroad in Gore, VA, BUT 80 series are really to wide to fit unless you care about body damage. The other place to go is in a place called Crozet, VA,I have gone with another Mud member who has a 80, it's down by Charlottesville. The closest "Cruiser" related trail ride that I know of is at Rausch Creek in Pennsylvania, it's kind of a hike, but I have made the trip. Search CMCC, you can find all kinds of info there.

slow91fj90 said:
There is nothing Cruiser related that is close, not really any close 4wheeling either. You are close to Big Dogs Offroad in Gore, VA, BUT 80 series are really to wide to fit unless you care about body damage. The other place to go is in a place called Crozet, VA,I have gone with another Mud member who has a 80, it's down by Charlottesville. The closest "Cruiser" related trail ride that I know of is at Rausch Creek in Pennsylvania, it's kind of a hike, but I have made the trip. Search CMCC, you can find all kinds of info there.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I will check it out.

Having some issues with the hunting for gears thing currently. I am guessing I will have to have my transmission custom tuned to accommodate for the added weight of the cruiser. Any suggestions?

jwdodd1 said:
Having some issues with the hunting for gears thing currently. I am guessing I will have to have my transmission custom tuned to accommodate for the added weight of the cruiser. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if it helps, but i've got a 6-speed GM auto in a 2011 SV6 Holden Commodore with fly by wire, and it does take a while to get used to the gearbox/ECU.

I wouldn't describe it as hunting, but it seems to always want to change gears. It's most apparent when you gently sweep through the throttle. I've found that if you decide how much throttle you need to give it, and hold it at that position, it'll behave nicely. I guess the best way to describe it is, it's kind of like having six staggered kick-down switches. Perhaps if I was pulling an extra tonne of weight it may hunt as you describe.

PS. Am following this thread as my FJ80 3F-E is getting tired, but am contemplating an LS2 married to the LC 4-speed auto. Foreseeable problems include ECU wiring...

Trying to upload video, but I am going to have to ask for help. OME lift should be on by tomorrow. More pics/video to come.
image-3239856018.jpg

bigkrisso said:
I'm not sure if it helps, but i've got a 6-speed GM auto in a 2011 SV6 Holden Commodore with fly by wire, and it does take a while to get used to the gearbox/ECU.

I wouldn't describe it as hunting, but it seems to always want to change gears. It's most apparent when you gently sweep through the throttle. I've found that if you decide how much throttle you need to give it, and hold it at that position, it'll behave nicely. I guess the best way to describe it is, it's kind of like having six staggered kick-down switches. Perhaps if I was pulling an extra tonne of weight it may hunt as you describe.

PS. Am following this thread as my FJ80 3F-E is getting tired, but am contemplating an LS2 married to the LC 4-speed auto. Foreseeable problems include ECU wiring...

Thanks bigkrisso! I am going to play around with it for a while and will either get used to it or get lucky with the programming. I used the ECU out of the GM vehicle that I got the engine from. Stand alone fuse system as well for the engine/transmission. I also wound up having a new wiring harness made for this build. I wish I had feedback for you about using the old ECU and Wiring harness. I have gotten some great feedback from a lot of great guys on here so it's definitely the place to pose your questions.

She's so purdy......

Great looking rig, Love the stance with the wheels, are you using wheel spacers?? what size tire are you running??

Damn! That's awesome. Actually startled me, and still one of my favorite sounds of anything.

FloridaFJ80 said:
Great looking rig, Love the stance with the wheels, are you using wheel spacers?? what size tire are you running??

Thanks! I am using 1.5 inch spacers with 285/75 r16's.

Shinichi said:
Damn! That's awesome. Actually startled me, and still one of my favorite sounds of anything.

:). Me too! I think I upset my neighbors though. I am also installing a push button silencer on it as well so I can still keep my neighbors as friends.

I like the sound. Hard to beat the sound of a healthy V-8. Push button cut-outs coming your way, eh? Hope you get the transmission hunting sorted out.

rockrod said:
sounds great!

I wanted to make mine sound a little more ballsy but I have to tote kids around in it (daily driver) so I decided it would be better to keep it quiet.

Thanks. I had to add the cut outs to get the best of both worlds. I really hated the thought of giving up that sound.

western flyer said:
I like the sound. Hard to beat the sound of a healthy V-8. Push button cut-outs coming your way, eh? Hope you get the transmission hunting sorted out.

Thanks. I figured cut outs were my only option if I wanted to keep this sound. I feel confident we will get the hunting thing figured out over time. :)

Sounds killer! What muffler did you go with and are you running a cat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom