LS1 CA Swap, Can it Be Done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I put an LS1 (can’t afford a brand new LS3 right now) with an H55 into a 1985 FJ60 and pass CA emissions? I am seeing a lot of threads for a vortec but not much for an LS1.

Thanks so much.

LT

For something as potentially disastrous as this, don't assume any CA swap advice on a forum is law. Get the rule book in writing before attempting any engine swap in CA

Thanks for the feedback. I have heard people successfully swapping Vortecs and LS3s I wasn't sure about an LS1. I just don't have the coin for a brand new LS3. You are right, I need to just study the damn rules. This is the document you are referring to right?

Thanks for your help.

LT

Can I put an LS1 (can’t afford a brand new LS3 right now) with an H55 into a 1985 FJ60 and pass CA emissions?
If that engine (year) was offered in CA with a manual trans you should be able to....
With that said...
Go talk to the REF that you plan on taking your rig to....
Hear it from the lions mouth, and ask for literature on it....
Don't just take their word for it....

I'm looking, and I think an LM4 (5.3l) came with a T56 manual in the 2003-4 Chevy SSR, which would be a legal donor for a 60 in Cali. You'd have to have the correct manual trans configuration's ECU, so it isn't throwing "Dude, where's my TCU?" codes (automatic smog fail), and you'd need all your sensors intact, including O2 sensors the same distance downstream in the (factory, smog-legal) exhaust headers, too. You also need smog-legal cats. Whether you could get away with keeping the H55f instead of having to adapt a/the T56 (which shouldn't have much in the way of a TCU...) is a crapshoot, from my armchair research on smog-legal swaps.

An actual LS1 is gonna be a problem, from what I'm seeing. A corvette or camaro isn't an SUV, which makes those invalid sources. Next issue: a healthy LS1 may just plain eat H55 gears for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It also might not. I'd want to be sure, before I spent a dime on the donor engine, that the drivetrain I was putting behind it would be up to the task.

I personally think 'rebuilt TBI 350 with the best CARB-legal heads and aftermarket CARB-legal intake and standalone EFI available for a 350' is probably the shortest path to an H55f behind a more or less modern V8 in Cali, but I have no idea what kind of performance that would get you, how expensive it would actually be, etc., or who'd do that work.

I'm looking, and I think an LM4 (5.3l) came with a T56 manual in the 2003-4 Chevy SSR, which would be a legal donor for a 60 in Cali. You'd have to have the correct manual trans configuration's ECU, so it isn't throwing "Dude, where's my TCU?" codes (automatic smog fail), and you'd need all your sensors intact, including O2 sensors the same distance downstream in the (factory, smog-legal) exhaust headers, too. You also need smog-legal cats. Whether you could get away with keeping the H55f instead of having to adapt a/the T56 (which shouldn't have much in the way of a TCU...) is a crapshoot, from my armchair research on smog-legal swaps.

An actual LS1 is gonna be a problem, from what I'm seeing. A corvette or camaro isn't an SUV, which makes those invalid sources. Next issue: a healthy LS1 may just plain eat H55 gears for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It also might not. I'd want to be sure, before I spent a dime on the donor engine, that the drivetrain I was putting behind it would be up to the task.
Ls1also. Came in buick roadmaster station wagons i had one but no manual transmission had a 4l60 transmission

Don't bother calling the ref. You will get some random person and they will say its not doable. Talk in person.

This. Talk to your actual ref and see what they will be checking for.

But in general the rule is you will have to retain all emission related items to the donor motor (including the stuff attached to the fuel tank). Depending on the LS1 this could include EGR and Air Injection. You need to keep all of the OEM pieces from the MAF to the TB (my ref said before the MAF he didn't care, but yours might). OEM headers and cats are preferred(required?) and they must be in the same position as the donor vehicle.

Edit: like @Lil'John mentioned the rules tend to change over time, I was able to get away with a VATS delete on the ECU on a swap I did in the past (~7yrs ago), but have heard recently the local ref wouldn't touch a car that had a VATS delete and they had to figure out how to incorporate the body control module into their swap as well so the ECU operated like stock.

In the end it may be easier to just save up for an EROD, and even then 🤞

Last edited:
I believe they now scan the ecu so you can't delete certain components like vats, evap etc.. My swap has the body control module wired in to overcome this.. and I have all the evap functioning ..

In the end it may be easier to just save up for an EROD, and even then 🤞

This... for the amount of work hours, and $$$ you going to put into it.....
Yah better off with a certified engine swap that CARB would be more lenient towards.....

Best to look at the glass half full...eh..!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom