LS-swapped '80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I'll be doing a GM V8 swap soon and am looking at my engine options.. one potential is running a newer Gen 5 vortec, but this hasn't been done (or at least not publicly documented) yet. One issue is they are pretty wide up front and I would like to figure this out before spending $4k on an engine pullout.

Does anyone in town have an already LS-swapped 80-series that I could take some engine-bay measurements from? I'll bring some beer of your choice to compensate for the time..

Reply here or send a PM and I'll figure out how to get to you to make it as convenient as possible.

Thanks for looking

-Justin

You may want to contact Jeff @warpdriv here in mud. He no longer has it but did an LS conversion on his 80 series a couple of years back.

Well.. scratch that.

Can't get a wide range of exhaust manifolds for the Gen 5 engines yet.. which means I'd have to hope the stock cast ones work, and I can't buy an engine just to find that out.

Gen IV it is..

It's a pretty snug fit. Be sure to mount the AC compressor when you're doing your measurements and setting up your motor mounts. Also do a search for LS1 on the 80 board and you will find a few builds in there. There are some shorty headers from Summit that that works really good. PM me if you have any questions or if you want to have a chat.

I've been researching an LT1 5.3 or 6.1 2014 or newer Gen 5 V8 conversion into an 80. There are options showing up now, like headers and accy drives and other info. The Gen5 engines have an accy drive vacuum pump to assist braking effort as the engine typically has low vacuum available and needs supplementing. The Holly accy drive kits info say that pump can stay in its original position. There are picture and measurement diagrams that show position info. By the time I am ready I suspect aftermarket suppliers will have stepped up and we will have a good selection and info available. Look here 15 Must-Have Parts For Any Gen-V LT1 Muscle Car Swap! - Hot Rod Network and here Holley 21-5 Installation Kit for GM Gen V LT Accessory Drive

Last edited:
upload_2019-2-2_14-26-2.jpeg

This is a Holley setup for a Gen 5. Requires LS water pump to move back to center. Gen5 is offset to drivers side. Looks like it might fit. Maybe someone in the middle of a swap can check the dimensions and see how it will clear the frame rails.

This setup includes a new SD compressor, 130a alternator, ps pump and many access. Compared with gen4, this looks like the High Wide setup. The middle and low accy mounting is more like we see in the 80's swaps. Not sure if the wide setup will interfere with the battery box.

I am pretty certain I want a Gen5 and will still work towards that end. Engines will be plentiful along with 6 or 8 speed auto's.

Last edited:
Great drawing! That AC compressor may hit the air clearer. Measure twice, install once...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom