LS Swap Fuel Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,
I am looking at pre-emptively replacing my fuel pump on my 88 62. Couple of questions...Anyone have any experience with Walbro TCA324HP? Having some work done and it looks like the PO put in an external pump and then ripped it out and went through the stock fuel pump (is that even possible for fuel pressure and fuel feed rate?). It never ends. Went in for a front axle swap and a few other issues, but we have a little scope creep. :(:censor: I drove it from Atlanta to Seattle with no fuel issues (tons of other issues) so I have no complaints about the performance. It was looking at the wiring and it concerns me.

The posts I see are a couple of years old. If they suck, is there another bolt in option? I want to keep an in-tank pump. Trying to ensure I have a reliable rig for adventuring! Thanks for your input.

Walbro makes a drop in pump specifically for the fj62/LS swap. It was covered in a recent thread I believe

Walbro makes a drop in pump specifically for the fj62/LS swap. It was covered in a recent thread I believe
Thanks, the latest post I could find was 2018 I believe. So, more specifically, anyone who has used this pump, is it reliable and as direct fit as they say? Or is there a more preferred option for in tank fuel pump.

No direct experience with it. Fwiw, In my swap I’m running a Spectra (I think?) pump from autozone for a 2005 5.4l F250. It’s a genuine walbro pump in a spectra box for 100$ with lifetime local warranty. Flow rate and pressure adequate for the LS. Been running this about 6-7 years now

@Richfj60 what engine do you have? Stock 62 pump is fine for any stock vortec engine

@Richfj60 what engine do you have? Stock 62 pump is fine for any stock vortec engine
5.3 LQ9
It has the stock one one there as far as we can tell without dropping the tank. Fuel delivery didn't seem to be an issue on the drive from Atlanta to Seattle but doe some reason an out tank pump and ripped it out and went to the stock one. The wiring is suspect.

5.3 LQ9
It has the stock one one there as far as we can tell without dropping the tank. Fuel delivery didn't seem to be an issue on the drive from Atlanta to Seattle but doe some reason an out tank pump and ripped it out and went to the stock one. The wiring is suspect.

a 5.3 is not an LQ9. an LQ9 is a 6.0.
Regardless the stock 62 pump is fine.
How is your wiring setup? What is telling the fuel pump to turn on?

Probably cause the external is not the best setup ... they have tendency to fail from what I e read

Ok, so apparently I got the engine model wrong. Its from a 2004 Silverado 1500. I'm not a Chevy guy, so when I looked up the VIN, I thought that is what it said. Its a truck motor but has plenty of power. VIN Z whatever that means. :confused:

a 5.3 is not an LQ9. an LQ9 is a 6.0.
Regardless the stock 62 pump is fine.
How is your wiring setup? What is telling the fuel pump to turn on?
Wiring set up is a stock harness that was redone by 150tunes.com. Key activates the pump on key On position. I bought it "built" already, so still learning and working out the kinks.

Rich

Ok, so apparently I got the engine model wrong. Its from a 2004 Silverado 1500. I'm not a Chevy guy, so when I looked up the VIN, I thought that is what it said. Its a truck motor but has plenty of power. VIN Z whatever that means. :confused:
More research....I think I have an L59.

VIN Z whatever that meansI........I think I have an L59

where did you pull the vin # from? The PCM?
The L59 has bigger fuel injectors.. and the fuel rails are square tubing...
if it doesn't then it is a LM4 or LM7... and the PCM might be out of an L59
As stated on previous post the stock 62 fuel pump or the Walbro should work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom