Ls conversation & 4l60 conversation question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently doing a 5.3 ls conversion. I was thinking of using the 4l60 transmission. Has anyone used the Chevrolet t/c with the push button 4x4 so I don’t have the t/c shifter in the back seat.

You mean like this ?

2020-01-14 09.01.32.jpg

This is from my '65 FJ45 with a 6.0L, 4L80E and NVG 463 transfer case. I really like the transfer case and the shifting mechanism for the intended purpose of this truck (not a hardcore crawler).

As much as I like the combination, there are some complications that you should be aware of. First and foremost, AFIK all of the New Venture transfer cases are driver-side drop in the front and centered in the rear. (I assume you know this). There are also a number of unanticipated (for me at least) complications. Getting all of the computer-controlled components communicating correctly was a challenge for me. That includes the PCM, the transfer case proper, the transfer case control module and the front axle actuator switch. I scratched my head quite a bit trying to figure out how to make a proxy for the front axle actuator switch:bang:

If you go this route, I will be most happy to share what I learned in the process of doing mine.

Last edited:
FYI - the I believe the 4l80 is shorter than the 4L60 and is often used in fj40's.

Another option if you don't go to an electric NVG transfer case, is to fabricate mounts for either pneumatic or electric shifters. There are several threads on Pirate that show how to use a pneumatic system to shift an NP 205. AA also makes an electric servo system to shift the 4-speed Atlas. If you research how either the air or electric systems work, you could probably figure you a nifty way to shift the TC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom