LS 6.0 swap in 79 FJ40 - keeping original 4-speed / transfer case - questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question for those that have done installed a LS 6.0 to a stock Toyota Trans.

==> Question: Will the Stock Toyota 4-speed hold up to the LS 6.0 under normal (not aggressive) driving conditions ?

I have a 79 FJ40 - bone stock drivetrain and I want a little more breathing room and have a new (complete) LS 6.0
This is a daily driver and gets a lot of use.

The 2F has been ok for the past 2 years but I need more HP and throttle response.
I drive it a lot - on and off road but no Rock Crawling or Extreme off road, mostly creeks, hills and my back 20 acres in the sticks.

I plan for this to be a two-part conversion:
Part 1 .) Replace the 2F with the 6.0 and mate it up to the Stock Toyota 4-speed and transfer case (keeping the driveline length the same) - Then drive it for a year.
I have done a few FJ40 LS (5.3) swaps in the past but they were mated up to a bullt proof SM465 tranny. I know I'll have to take it easy on the Toyota tranny.

Part 2 .) About a year down the road, I'll upgrade the tranny / transfer case.

Thank You

Last edited:
It all depends on your use of the skinny pedal. At the end of the day it seems more likely to twist a driveline or snap a pinion than break the trans. Personally, I'm a 4L60e or 4L80e kinda guy, they actually are built to hold up to the 5.3 and 6.0. I know you can twist a driveline with one of those.

If going to a V8 I would source a four speed top cover from a 60 series and transfer case shifter from a pre 4/85 60 series as well. V8 will move the transmission forward unless using a Marks out of Australia adapter. Those are thick and designed to keep the transmission in the original location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom