LRA aux tank install

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
@Outsane , here's a pic of the location where I chose. It's mounted to the frame member that the front of the aux tank is mounted to, above the panhard rod. Looks like yours is mounted to the brace that's part of the floor or body of the 80. If you measure up from the bottom of your aux tank, you'll see that the body mount is like twice the distance which makes the pump work outside it's designed perameters. The pump initially works, but will tend to fail with frequent and extended use. That's been my experience with tank installed for over 2 years, now.
IMG_1464a.JPG

Outsane

Supporting Vendor
Website
solvefunction.com
I want to do this so bad. not sure if I want the 25 or 40 gallon though. would be ridiculous to have almost 70 gallons of fuel. How long does it take to transfer fuel between tanks?
A few minutes to transfer. Quick enough

mudgudgeon

SILVER Star
I would still go for the smaller tank, it's still a lot of extra gas. All depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

My driveway is on a slant, I'll get more pictures.

24 gallons is a lot of extra gas. The OEM sub-tank was 50 litres, 24 gallons is about 90 litres.

I've put 90litre tanks in the back of previous cruisers. More than that is unnecessary unless you're doing extremely remote travel, or lots of low range travel in remote areas.

Even 90 litres of fuel right at the back is a noticeable weight penalty.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
24 gallons is a lot of extra gas. The OEM sub-tank was 50 litres, 24 gallons is about 90 litres.

I've put 90litre tanks in the back of previous cruisers. More than that is unnecessary unless you're doing extremely remote travel, or lots of low range travel in remote areas.

Even 90 litres of fuel right at the back is a noticeable weight penalty.
The 24 gallon tank effectively doubles the stock capacity of the petrol 80 series (don’t know about diesel capacities). You can forget jerrycans and all their storage and fuel spout issues. Except for the co$t at fuel stops nowadays, you’ll never look back. Also gives you more options for picking the cheapest fuel stop. Rock crawlers might consider fabbing a skid plate - I put a small dent in mine coming off a ledge - easy to forget it’s there. I needed to put rear airbags in to level out the rear with full tank weight plus tongue weight of my trailer.

Last edited:
The 24 gallon tank effectively doubles the stock capacity of the petrol 80 series (don’t know about diesel capacities). You can forget jerrycans and all their storage and fuel spout issues. Except for the co$t at fuel stops nowadays, you’ll never look back. Also gives you more options for picking the cheapest fuel stop. Rock crawlers might consider fabbing a skid plate - I put a small dent in mine coming off a ledge - easy to forget it’s there. I needed to put rear airbags in to level out the rear with full tank weight plus tongue weight of my trailer.

diesel capacity is the same as gas, really helps for longer trips. Mine's go a little bit of stinkbug in the back so the extra weight would help level it out lol. having 42 extra gallons would be neat for the ability to essentially drive from Seattle to LA and partway back without needing to fillup, but man that would be some weight. Would consider a brake upgrade just to carry the fuel! It's a shame the body and frame design don't allow for one massive tank to be put in the OEM and the aux spot. That would be slick.

So what is the cost associated !

Outsane

Supporting Vendor
Website
solvefunction.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom