Lowering Ride Height Using AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever lowered the vehicle for highway driving? I'm wondering if you can impact fuel efficiency. Maybe wring another mile out of a gallon. Anyone?

thought I read that it goes back to some default setting if the speed exceeds some lowish value?

It is possible to "trick" the system but keep in mind, when you lower it almost 2 inches, there will be a change in your front alignment setting. You'll have also lost 2 inches of suspension travel.

I've seen JDM AHC controller units that allow one to raise/lower the suspension in 10mm increments while driving or stopped. My main concern would be the CV joint angles/wear. It is correct to say that when the AHC is raised, all the load is off the t-bars, and, therefore, the CV joint angle increases beyond what is optimal for maximum durability?

why would you assume that lowering a vehicle would improve it's fuel efficiency? it's the same weight and the same frontal area.

it's a 6K pound, fulltime 4wd, barn on wheels.

my top-of-the-hat to fuel economy is the removal of the worthless roofrack crossbars. it's a bit of work, but they're certainly not being used and cannot be good for slipping through the air.

ace10 said:
why would you assume that lowering a vehicle would improve it's fuel efficiency? it's the same weight and the same frontal area.

That's my point. It would not be the same frontal area. The height would be reduced by 2 inches. In addition, I believe (possibly incorrectly) that the lowering of the vehicle would better direct airflow around and under the suspension.

I'm not concerned about the loss of travel, because I'm only traversing the pebbles and pot holes on the highway...

I agree, its a barn on wheels, and I love it. But, if I'm on a 600 mile road trip on major interstate highways, I need every bit of fuel efficiency I can sqeeze! If I can get it by using a built in function of the vehicle, I'm gonna explore it.

Anymore thoughts?

-- Mike

mscott said:
I'm not concerned about the loss of travel, because I'm only traversing the pebbles and pot holes on the highway...
Sure, maybe... but just so you know, here is a picture of the suspension fully lowered. I couldn't fit a finger in there--it is less than 1/2" at the bumpstop. 1/2" at the bumpstop is probably just over an 1" travel at the wheel. Maybe somebody can calculate that. At normal ride height, there is over an inch of clearance at the bumpstop.
bumpstop.jpg

Great point hose. Thanks for the picture. I wonder if I'd also need to consider changes in suspension geometry since we'd be talking a lot of miles in that configuration... Wouldn't want to destroy the tires w/very uneven wear.

hello,

this is the unit from bblanks. it bypasses the AHC to lock the height either high or low. check it at www.bblanks.com :)

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in raising the ride height. I read somewhere it could be "fooled" into staying up there, do you need aftermarket equip to do it? I'm also wondering about the driveshaft angle, unless it was designed to compensate for it.

John

bblanks system

Does anyone have a system like this in the US for sale?

A touareg when it is over 60 mph it will lower for better fuel economy. Will also dip the front for better viewing and servicing when the hood is open. Maybe a few tricks Toyota could add. Also has a 4x4 mode to encrease ground clearance by 2 inches.

ndcruiser said:
I'd be more interested in raising the ride height. I read somewhere it could be "fooled" into staying up there, do you need aftermarket equip to do it? I'm also wondering about the driveshaft angle, unless it was designed to compensate for it.

John
The BBlanks post above you is what you need. There are others that are cheaper that don't use the factory controls. You will also need to get an alignment job and will probably want to get a drop down bracket for the front suspension. There will be no problems with the driveshaft angle.

I don't know anybody in the US that carries the BBlanks AHC control but I was thinking about ordering one from Japan. The price is about $350US plus whatever costs to get it here.

Christo is working on a blackbox that will do the same thing. Not sure when it will be out but I don't think it will be available before summer's end.

Christo -

Any scheduled date we should start seeing the black box for sale?

bump

Just wondering if anyone is importing the bblanks adjustable system or does Christo have his AHC just about finished?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom