lowering my height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my fj62 lift on it and all. The owner had bought it himself only 3 months before and said it was a 4 inch lift. It also had 35" tires. Its got a sr on it too. I've got some measurements, its got 6.5" pin to pin shackles in the rear and from the bottom of the frame to the leaf eye on the front its also 6.5". I've recently put 33" tires and I like it better. But I'd also like a lower ride height. Above stock but lower than now. How can I lower it? I've thought about putting 5 3/4" shackles in the rear but that'd lower my butt end. Here's a pic.
IMG_20140529_114358.jpg

Look at removing the shackle reversal, and then when replace rear shackle with a workable height shackle. That would probably give
you about 2" less height. That's what I would do.

I'm gonna edit my comment. What kind of springs do you have? One way is to keep the long shackles and SR, and find a set of workable used springs. They would have lower ride height, and be a cheap way to go. I think your truck looks good the way it sits, BTW.

Look at removing the shackle reversal, and then when replace rear shackle with a workable height shackle. That would probably give
you about 2" less height. That's what I would do.

I'm gonna edit my comment. What kind of springs do you have? One way is to keep the long shackles and SR, and find a set of workable used springs. They would have lower ride height, and be a cheap way to go. I think your truck looks good the way it sits, BTW.

One rear spring has 66221 printed on it and a sticker that says made in Canada. I'm not sure if they're OEM specs or what.

Better pic of the front shackle I bet you could just put smaller shackles and a caster shim and drop it 1-1 1/2 in easy

The front shackles "look" close to standard size. It seems replacing your springs with standard lift is your best option depending on the current front vs rear spring arrangement.

If that picture is of the 33's on it I would just leave it, realistically you'll probably get it down an inch and a half throwing $500-$1000 at it. It may be difficult finding the right spring for the front, certainly you'll be explaining more to resellers.

Why do you want to lower it? Is the ride bad or is it too high to climb into everyday?

That number is an old Rancho number I think. I have a set of Canadian Rancho's on my 40, they rode really nice/
how many leaves in the spring pack?

Cut the shackle reversal off the front, weld these 3-3/16" shackle hangers (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SDSHK.html) on 4" from the front end of the frame (stock location), then get 4 shorter shackles (ironman or OME are very good). DONE!!!!!
Probably will need shorter shocks as well.

Last edited:
Put a winch bumper on the front and a couple of fatties in the back.........seriously it looks good the way it sits, how does it handle??

truck looks looks good in the pics...I know getting in and out can be a pain. Get some sliders to use as steps and call it a day.

As I see it your options are to:

a) reduce the shackle length
b) experiment with removing springs from the packs.

Shortening the shackles is quick and cheap. Removing springs is also cheap but a little time consuming.

Send us clear pics of your spring packs and we can advise you on how to proceed.

Rick

Run it as is for a while. New springs settle and you will likely lose the 1" to match the smaller tires after the springs have broken in.

If it was mine I'd remove the SR as stated, then move the rear shackle hangers forward about 3" (or whatever gives you 45 degree shackle angle, a 4x4 or welding shop should be able to do that in about 2 hours).

Put a winch bumper on the front and a couple of fatties in the back.........seriously it looks good the way it sits, how does it handle??

The front shackles "look" close to standard size. It seems replacing your springs with standard lift is your best option depending on the current front vs rear spring arrangement.

If that picture is of the 33's on it I would just leave it, realistically you'll probably get it down an inch and a half throwing $500-$1000 at it. It may be difficult finding the right spring for the front, certainly you'll be explaining more to resellers.

Why do you want to lower it? Is the ride bad or is it too high to climb into everyday?

it rides rough. i noticed also that its butt end sticks up, especially as the fuel level drops. the rear shackles are 6.5" pin to pin now, if i got 5 3\4" pin to pin shackles would that help, or would it affect the handling or suspension performance in any adverse ways? my shackle angle is pretty terrible, there is this one bump on the way to work, hitting it at any speed is awful. driving down washboard roads is also absolutely awful, makes me not even wanna go off road haha. ill get more specs in the morning, about leaves in the packs and stuff. any more info i can provide to anyone who can help me out?

PS id also like to keep the sr, dont see a reason to get rid of it necessarily, and me being less than handy with a welder and such, and not wanting to pay a shop...... sr stays haha

Going with a 1" shorter shackle in the rear is only going to drop the rear 1/2". I have the exact setup as you and over the weekend I did what I suggested a few posts above. It dropped front and rear 2" and took only a couple hours.

If you don't want to pay a shop, I'd look for a local land cruiser club or fellow mud member that can weld. Beer is usually good payment.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom