Lowering a Lift Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I have an OME 2” lift kit (light) on the way to replace a a worn out shocks and springs on a ‘76 FJ40. But here’s the crazy part… I don’t need the “lift!”

I want to try to stay close to stock height so we can get it in the garage with the roof rack. There’s a ton of articles on big shackles to increase lift but I can’t find anything on what I’m trying to do.

Does anyone have a recommendation on using a smaller shackle with the 2” OME kit to try to retain stock height? Any way to modify the ARB shackles or use an OEM (can’t find one)?

You will be removing some leaves to bring in down

See quotes below:
Sorry, Old Man Emu (aka OME, Emu Dakar, ARB, etc) has never offered a stock height, rather a 2" minimum spring. That said, you can carefully "de-tune" a CS001F spring by removing certain leaf(s) to lower the height, particularly useful in SOA applications. My 40 is SOA with OME springs and we've sent up dozens of others in similar fashion. Hang on to the leaf you remove, as the springs settle from heavy use over time you can add the leaf back in for extended service life of the spring.

Which spring to remove:
Generally the 3rd but really we'd have to know more about the vehicle, traction bar, weight, etc to make an educated response. If you're interested in discussing some OME springs give us a shout at the shop. Thanks!

You will be removing some leaves to bring in down

See quotes below:

Which spring to remove:

Appreciate the idea of removing a spring but is it possible to avoid that and just run an OEM or smaller shackle instead?

Not ideal but, an option if not hard-core wheeling. There are blocks you can put between the spring and the axle. Requires longer u bolts. A 2 inch block will lower 2 inches.

I would be happy if I could get a no lift suspension kit for my J45 PickUp resto.
It seems that nowadays this is near impossible...

PS. Some 15 years ago, if I remember well, the customer had the choice between lift and no-lift kits (at least in the USA). Is it really no demand anymore?

Last edited:
You could find a place that re-arches springs and tell them what you want to do.

I’d put a want ad in the classifieds to trade springs with someone that’s stock height and looking for a lift.

A big thanks to @70fj40 for the Cruiser Outfitters recommendation. Luckily the OME set didn’t ship and I was able to cancel the order (shout out to Cruiser Corps for being so accommodating!).

Cruiser Outfitters has a stock height setup in stock that they’re shipping, and along with smaller tires, I’ll get the height down enough to reinstall the roof rack and ladder and get it in and out of the garage.

Thanks everyone for the replies; this forum is great!

A big thanks to @70fj40 for the Cruiser Outfitters recommendation. Luckily the OME set didn’t ship and I was able to cancel the order (shout out to Cruiser Corps for being so accommodating!).

Cruiser Outfitters has a stock height setup in stock that they’re shipping, and along with smaller tires, I’ll get the height down enough to reinstall the roof rack and ladder and get it in and out of the garage.

Thanks everyone for the replies; this forum is great!

Your order shipped today 😎

IMG_5752.jpg

We have some great vendors supporting this forum. Impressive resources right here day in and day out. Vendor members willing to give tech support, guys willing to help others on projects, inspect land cruisers for someone they have never met and parts support for 50 year old rigs. This seems like a good oppotunity to say thank you and let them know how much we appreciate their support. This Landcruiser community would be much smaller and possibly on the verge of nonexistent without these vendors supporting it.
Thank you guys for your dedication and all you do to keep this community so vibrant. My small part is a simple pledge to shop these vendors 1st for anything Landcruiser.

I realize now this would have been better as a separate thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom