Lower thermostat housing install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

What started as me having s leaky radiator has turned into a effort to clean out and restore the cooling system

First I discovered my radiator leaked horribly after getting up to temp for the first time. Figured a new radiator was in order. (Thanks to the amazing Trigger66 who sent me one he had for just shipping!)

Upon disassembly I discovered horrible rust inside the block. So I tore the thermostat housing after an initial flush and ordered all new cooling parts.

I didn't want to connect the parts to the system and get them clogged so I blocked off the lower part water pump and filled the block with evapo rust. My plan is to flush it thoroughly after a bit to get the nastiest of the nasty out then reassemble with new parts and then run a proper flush.

My question is probably a dumb one. I am new to all of this and kind of learn as I go. But I have the lower thermostat housing and gasket and need to know if I apply a bead of gasket maker to the paper gasket that connects the lower to the block? And if so do I apply it to one particular side or both?

20220727_125720.jpg

20220726_223039.jpg

20220727_115621.jpg

20220727_125707.jpg

1658945104702230183585370032988.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if its the proper way but I coated both sides of the gasket. Unfortunately I had ripped the old gasket upon removal and had to make another out of gasket paper, didn't want to take any chances that my cutting skills were sub par so I added the FIPG. That was a decade ago and it still hasn't leaked.

Not sure if its the proper way but I coated both sides of the gasket. Unfortunately I had ripped the old gasket upon removal and had to make another out of gasket paper, didn't want to take any chances that my cutting skills were sub par so I added the FIPG. That was a decade ago and it still hasn't leaked.
Thank you for your reply.

I did not use gasket maker and no leaks. I have heard of using the tacky gasket sealant to hold it in place and better seal it. Going to use that on the gasket between the upper and lower housing. I keep getting leaks there.

I did not use gasket maker and no leaks. I have heard of using the tacky gasket sealant to hold it in place and better seal it. Going to use that on the gasket between the upper and lower housing. I keep getting leaks there.
16589540571476693597325029831205.jpg
got it on fingers crossed

Be sure to coat the entire length of the bolts that attach the thermostat housing to the head and thermo housing cover to the base with lots of anti-seize. And don't forget the gasket that sits on top of the thermostat.

Be sure to coat the entire length of the bolts that attach the thermostat housing to the head and thermo housing cover to the base with lots of anti-seize. And don't forget the gasket that sits on top of the thermostat.
The thermostat I ordered came with the little gasket luckily however the upper housing gasket they sent was wayyy to small not sure how that happened. Got another ordered to pick up tomorrow and I beaded the entire length and around the holes of the gasket on both sides of the felpro gasket it came with for the lower. I cleaned out put anti seize on the bolts before they went in

I make my own thermostat gaskets out of cereal boxes, just like Dad did. I don't use gasket goop of any kind.
Also, consider using studs and nuts instead of bolts. And anti-seize as mentioned.

I did the same thing you did - flushed block and used evaporust. But given the amount of rust and crud that came out in the post-treatment flush I used one of these Gano Auto Coolant Filter Company - https://ganofilters.com/ to make sure any leftover junk didn’t clog the radiator. I thought it would be a temporary installation, but it’s been in place from the git go. Even after another flush with Thermocure I see junk in the filter. These blocks are notorious for generating rust 😂. Just a warning.

I did the same thing you did - flushed block and used evaporust. But given the amount of rust and crud that came out in the post-treatment flush I used one of these Gano Auto Coolant Filter Company - https://ganofilters.com/ to make sure any leftover junk didn’t clog the radiator. I thought it would be a temporary installation, but it’s been in place from the git go. Even after another flush with Thermocure I see junk in the filter. These blocks are notorious for generating rust 😂. Just a warning.
Honestly I've been very tempted at these do u have a pic of urs mounted? Because im gonna run thermo cure after its all back together and I might just throw me one of those in just to make myself feel better haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom