Lower tailgate steel stays (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I bought an 80 series a few months ago and I'm just in the process of tidying it up. I'm not sure what someone has done with the lower tailgate but both of the steel stays are badly bent and while climbing in and out of the back and leaning on the tailgate one has actually snapped since I bought the car. I'd like to replace both but prices are pretty expensive so I'm looking at nearly $200 Australian and they are also pretty hard to find.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket alternatives? I reckon I could almost get them made at a local machine shop for that price. I've looked for second hand but they seem to be very hard to find (still looking)

Part numbers are 65707 60012 (65707A) and 65706 60012 (65706A)

Cheers

Where in Australia are you?
Have you tried auto wreckers? I can't imagine they are replaced very often.
I'd be surprised not to find them in a wrecker?

I often thought about using some pvc wrapped cable. I don't like the metal stays.

I think you are looking at the gas struts? The parts numbers I've given are listed on that page as not available?
My apologies. You are correct. Partsouq does sell them though. It looks like they’re just out of stock. I purchased the same stays from them not too long ago.

Last edited:
I'd suggest 'Mud classifieds. Not sure about shipping to Australia though. But I have several sets. And they're not very sought after.

I've tried a few wreckers through Gumtree and several people that are privately wrecking but all have been sold/unavailable/worn or broken.

I guess I'll keep looking locally for now and hopefully something comes up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom