Lower shock mount protection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone built anything to protect the lower shock mounts - my set-up is with a U bolt flip kit (by 4Plus/ Dave Gore, @lcwizard here on mud) but the stock set-up would have a similar issue. The kit works GREAT but it leaves the stud that the shock attaches to vulnerable to damage from the rocks (when rock crawling in the big stuff). I lost a nut and got the threads on the stud all trashed this last week at CMCC... had to remove the shock since I didn't have any way to get a nut back on the stud.

I'd like to re-engineer that and/or build a "slider" for it to avoid this in the future and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. I don't want to lose any more clearance than necessary - that's the reason for the flip kit in the first place... (and please don't tell me to go SOA... I KNOW that'll solve the whole problem but I'm not ready for that right now)

Thanks,
Mark

Saw these somewhere (can't remember where). Wouldn't be hard to replicate. These are on an 80 but the concept should work on a 60.
guards2.jpg
IMAG1459.jpg

Nice... I do remember seeing those at some point... THANKS!

I wonder if you could add a washer-like plate to the back also that would slide over the pin - maybe to add some strength... you would have to open up the enclosed part a bit to be able to slide the shock down into the guard.

Anyone built anything to protect the lower shock mounts - my set-up is with a U bolt flip kit (by 4Plus/ Dave Gore, @lcwizard here on mud) but the stock set-up would have a similar issue. The kit works GREAT but it leaves the stud that the shock attaches to vulnerable to damage from the rocks (when rock crawling in the big stuff). I lost a nut and got the threads on the stud all trashed this last week at CMCC... had to remove the shock since I didn't have any way to get a nut back on the stud.

I'd like to re-engineer that and/or build a "slider" for it to avoid this in the future and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. I don't want to lose any more clearance than necessary - that's the reason for the flip kit in the first place... (and please don't tell me to go SOA... I KNOW that'll solve the whole problem but I'm not ready for that right now)

Thanks,
Mark

I Had nut back off once too. Caught it before I damaged the threads though. I guess I'll be changing to all metal locknuts.....Do you need me to send you a shock pin?

I'm thinking I want to try to find a way to relocate them higher.... even if it means raising the top mount some. That in conjunction with a guard like the one above might do it... But yes, I'm going to need to order up a couple of those shock pins and nuts... maybe even a set of 4.

I like the idea of those guards for the lower mount, to protect the nut, anyway -

I'm planning on doing the U-bolt flip when I get the new springs for my 40 (already have it on the 60). Might be a nice product idea for someone... I don't remember though, if I've ever even banged those mounts, as they aren't really in a vulnerable spot.

if I've ever even banged those mounts, as they aren't really in a vulnerable spot.

Guess you don't wheel where we do.... ;)

PS (That's my buddy Chris, not me)

image-jpg.1109617

True 'dat!

I tend to avoid rocks.

Those are my pics in post 2 - There is still a for sale thread active in the small business section but I doubt I am going to make and sell any more.

I used 2" pipe and Mcmaster part # 92140A120 for the centers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom