Lower Rockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who maked reproduction lower rocker panels? My drivers side got hit and pushed it in. I was thinking it would be easier to just replace the whole thing rather than try and pull it out (it was rusty too) Any ideas? should I look for a parts vehicle instead of something new?

Nick

love mine gone never even hit the bottom of my new sliders??? the kickers yes

Gone. Put sliders in there place.

Here are the pictures of the damage......I'm not sure what to cut and there is a big gap when the door is closed. I have a new door, but need to fix this first before because the new one wont close right.

RCA_0670.JPG

RCA_0671.JPG

Could someone that cut their rockers post some pictures? I am interested in doing this because my rockers are shot.

nah you have to much damage to just cut and weld in square steel.

See if you can find a parts rig some where and get them to cut it out. At least use a replacement part for the upper part. Then weld in square steel.

But try pounding it back into shape, see what happens.

Yeah, I agree if you cup of off the lower part of the rocker then try and pound that top peice back into shape. If the weatherstrip seals you should be ok.

Here are a pic of what I did with my rockers and sliders.

4cusmso.jpg

choppin_017.sized.jpg

chopped the rocker to the bottom of the door

Picture_025.sized.jpg

welded 2x4 tubing with no cap on the rocker

I think that I like the chopped and welded on sliders look ! Seems that with the pictures as a guide, thats what I should do!

Nick

I did the same thing on my FJ55.

Rusty rockers + no repro parts available + redneck engineering = new rocker/sliders.

Id try to find pics, but I think you probably get the gist from the other pics.

Id cut off your rockers, try to get the sill straighter so the doors will work, then weld in some 2x4. You may even gain some ground clearance.

Hodag

Worst part though. If you cut straight across is attaching the 2x4 metal on the inside. It is corregated in shape, so you cannot weld it all the way along. Well you can, but it is going to be tricky and your going to get burned doing it under there. Also since you then close up the upper part and burn the primer on the inside, the rust will continue thru from the inside of the weld.

The only solution I could come to on repairing my rockers was to open slots on the top under the sill plates. Then I could clean the backside of any welds I did and repaint it inside. Now I have to fasten plate steel on the tops.....

Nothing rusts faster than the backside of a weld IMOP. I like to sand blast both sides of a weld prior to painting. But that is with longevity in mind, not a cool wheeling truck.

Wow thats really expensive! I bet you could have a sheet metal place make them for less! Luckily for me my school has some metal working tools so I wont have a problem making some patch panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom