Lower radiator hose leak 🙄 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this issue has been beaten to death but I don’t see an answer to my specific issue. I replaced the lower hose recently after taking the radiator out for front oil seal and crank seal etc for baseline. I cleaned out the radiator but was careful not to damage it taking out, cleaning, putting back in, etc. The new lower hose has a slower dripping leak on the bottom side where it connects to the radiator and can’t figure it out...a large drip ever few seconds. I replaced the original spring clamp with a regular worm drive hose clamp to see if it stopped the leak with tight clamp but no luck. I put a radiator pressure tool fitting and pumped to 14-15 psi and the bottom of lower hose seemed to be the only leak...seeping out of the bottom side. I’m worried the lower radiator plastic hose fitting is cracked... can’t see another reason for the seepage with tight fitting worm drive hose clamp. Any ideas? I’d hate to have to buy a dang new radiator...I’m going to drain the radiator to do the PHH this weekend So I can look for a hairline crack but hard to believe it cracked just swapping out hoses...help! 😰

Could be a pin hole in the hose itself... had one in mine that caused a slow coolant leak over time and wasn't noticeable until I had the hose off in hand.

Could also be some debris preventing a good seal.

Remove the hose, check the pipe for roundness/deformities/debris stuck to it, clean pipe off, reattach hose, adjust hose clamp position. Wipe off, watch closely to see where/if the leak re-appears, take a photo. If still leaking from the pipe/hose connection one thing you can try is to use two OEM type clamps next to each other but oriented in slightly different directions.

I always smear a thin coat of grease on hose nipples after a thorough cleaning.
Members who follow jonheld suggestion sure will thank themselves when they go to remove that hose later. That grease keeps the rubber hose from sticking fast to the radiator nipple, making hose removal later on WAY EASIER.

Since you are doing the PHH here is the tool that lets you easily get to the lower bolt one the PHH hard tube that many people complain about.

I use non petroleum synthetic dialectic grease to put the hoses back on... Makes your life way better!

And the two smaller hose locations can be covered by getting this Special Heater Hose Alternative! aka GATES 28460 if you are going to the part store.

The lower hose diameters are slightly different at each end. i.e. the radiator end is a larger diameter than the hardline end. Same for the thermostat housing hose to the other end of the hardline - bigger diameter at the thermostat end. Also the factory clamps are different diameter. Get them wrong and you'll have leaks and fitment issues.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom