Lower Oil Pan Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
re: 1996 LX450

I just removed my lower oil pan. The overflow FIPG was just disgusting, inside and out, and dangerous too. And what a mess to clean up. I hate FIPG. Stupid. Maybe it works at the factory with automation. I can't see that anyone sells a real gasket, so why can't I make my own with some gasket material? Has anyone tried it? I'm about to unless there's some good reason not to.

After some more research I've got to give it a try. I've done several dozen Mercedes oil pan gaskets and never had a leak or a mess. I'll try to remember to report back on the results in the future.

To me 100% of how well FIPG works is all in the prep work BEFORE you install the pan. Making sure that each surface is clean, no old FIPG material left on the block or pan matting surface.

Dry, zero, and i mean zero oil left on any matting surface, brake cleaner works well to remove all traces of oil after removing the old FIPG, then make sure that the oil pan's matting surface (if it's a steel pan) is straight and flat, especially where the mounting bolt holes are.

Next cleaning all the oil and old FIPG material off of each mounting bolt with a wire wheel, then spraying them with brake cleaner and dry them with compressed air.

Last but not least, chasing each threaded bolt hole with a tap, flush the hole with brake cleaner to clean out any left over crap, then blow dry each bolt hole with compressed air.

Now you're ready to install the pan by applying a nice even 1/8 inch inch to 3/16 wide bead of FIPG all the way around the pan matting surface. In may case i like to circle that bead around each mounting bolt hole, then put the pan in place and torque each mounting bolt to factory spec.

Allow a few hours for the FIPG to dry before adding any oil to the engine, and at least 24 hours before putting the car or truck back onto the road.

Done with this type of prep and attention to detail you'll be rewarded with zero oil leaks.

Can the Toyota 1281 FIPG be used on both the transmission and oil pans?
There are FIPG types you can use all over though. Toyota use Threebond for all these adhesives. I personally use Threebond 1207C (reddish brown) for everything. It's rated for oil pans, transfers, transmissions, diffs, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom