Lower control arms reinforced, my way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Many of you may have read my thread about how my lower control arm broke. I finally decided to brush away 5 years of pine needles and dig out my Toyota control arms out out of my back yard. Glad I kept them!

Instead of buying the bolt-on bracket, I wanted to weld reinforcements on the weak location. So here it is.

First, I started with 10 gauge steel and cut pieces to fit. Ground off the old paint and welded them on the inside of the arm. I held them back far enough so that the washer will not interfere with the piece I welded on.

A6D3DC46-C751-45E3-B4C0-6505659C5AEC.jpeg
3198747F-EB95-4D78-A0D1-234B7CCFBFA8.jpeg

E3F10A7A-EAFE-4B93-89C0-8DBC9D704E0E.jpeg

But wait, it’s not done. Limping out of Fins & Things on my bump stop had scarred me enough to think I needed two layers of reinforcements. So....... layer 2

B3C8122F-4EBD-4588-AC07-136579066892.jpeg

Cleanup and ready for the sand blaster. Can’t powder coat these because the bushing is still in the arm. It looks to be in pristine condition, so I’m not going to worry about it.

7CBFCE27-B75D-488B-A27C-04A11AFCE846.jpeg
DDC57A11-9F7A-4D9E-9AA6-B33D94265E0D.jpeg

Ready for epoxy primer and paint. Will drill out the hole and be ready for install. Will be replacing my uppers, lowers and new boots on my axles, new pads too.

90C56137-2821-46BD-A6CA-737243533C4F.jpeg
08511764-91F3-4A1F-B304-07D72BFC4AFF.jpeg

This doesn't really exactly show the finished result. Don't you need to drill a hole in it or something?
Well, I’m not done yet, but wanted to share it because I’m proud of my repair.:)

Well, I’m not done yet, but wanted to share it because I’m proud of my repair.:)
Any reason you just didn't weld a weld-washer to it? The hole already exists

Any reason you just didn't weld a weld-washer to it? The hole already exists
Not sure I understand. I wanted it extra strong since I already broke once and ruined my family vacation. Wouldn’t this be stronger than a washer?

Not sure I understand. I wanted it extra strong since I already broke once and ruined my family vacation. Wouldn’t this be stronger than a washer?
Not a regular washer, a weld washer. Something like this, but in metric. Race cars use 'em everywhere

Not a regular washer, a weld washer. Something like this, but in metric. Race cars use 'em everywhere

Yea, that would probably have done the trick. Same concept really. I had the steel already though.

Yea, that would probably have done the trick. Same concept really. I had the steel already though.
Yeah, I just don't like the idea of having to redrill the hole. It would have been better to have drilled a hole first, then aligned the reinforcement plate with a bolt, then welded. If you're really sloppy with the drilling now, you could end up noticing the misalignment. Probably totally fine, though.

Ultimately, this kind of stuff is the right way to approach problems on one's cruiser. Nice work.

Also, I wanted to overlap the welded seam on the arm to help make it even stronger. I was able to do this by adding two layers of steel. The first one was welded flush with the overlapping seam, then the second went over that first seam and connected the two original seams.

Also, I wanted to overlap the welded seam on the arm to help make it even stronger. I was able to do this by adding two layers of steel. The first one was welded flush with the overlapping seam, then the second went over that first seam and connected the two original seams.
It’s completely overkill, I know. The bracket would have been just fine. But it was satisfying to do it this way.

Makes sense. Night View.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom