lower bolt on rear shock - preemptive strike... what's it like in there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
only too well aware of the potential downfall of breaking the lower bolt head on the rear shock... So I'm going with the Kroil treatment as a preemptive strike. (where can one buy PB blaster again?). It won't help that some idiot buggered up the bolt head on one side. I'm bracing myself for trouble. Fortunately I have some "bolt-outs".

but before I try to tackle the dang thang, wanted to get my bearings straight. Can't see too well in there. Namely, the bolt is only keeping the shock from moving on a fixed stud right? IOW, the weight of the shock is not directly on the bolt, it is on some sort of stud welded to the main mount, and the bolt is threaded inside this stud, just to keep the shock from wandering off the end of the stud. Am I guessing this right?

I read that this bolt is a 12 mm. This right? seems like a very small head for a 12 mm.

thanks Rick

looks like this stud is welded on both sides of the main mount, going all the way through.
Wonder if it would make sense to drill a small hole in the "other" end and squirt some Kroil or PB in from that end too? assuming the threaded hole goes all the way to the end, that is... Anybody knows if it does?

PB in advance and then steady pressure with a breaker bar and you'll be fine.

My Atlanta born 94 was easy. It was a nice feeling to get 'em anti-seized up.

bjowett said:
You can't beat the heat.... sure the bushing will be burning by the time you done... but it is easier dealing with that than drilling out and old bolt.

mmm, torching the bolt head, eh? will it make the steel softer, though?

oh bummer!

they came right off...! :frown: :D

I had already planned for all these contingencies and worked out these plans off attack of increasing severity... but I had put some Kroil on there, couldn't bear to wait, cleaned up the hex head with a file, and they came right off with no fuss....

shoot! what a letdown! I was looking forward to some challenging fun! :D

bolts not rusty much at all. One almost new looking. Another plus for late models from the sun belt...

Btw, they are 12x1.25mm indeed.

Also, the threaded hole does not go in very far, so forget drilling from the other end, you'd have to go through over an inch of steel I think, not very practical....

Last edited:
Unless your truck is a rust bucket, you should have no problem. I have done many of them and never broken one, 1/2" impact, zip done!:D

I sure as heck would not start out with an impact wrench on those...
easy does it...
went really light with a breaker bar and was prepared to stop at the first sign of serious resistance... needs a human touch, these are sensitive little things... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom