Lower bed skirts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1984 pickup and the box is in good shape, surface rust but only one hole one the driver side rear bed skirt. I want to fix it with steel and am wondering how others have fixed theirs. Does anyone have photos of the box without the skirt (lower panel) on during the repair not rusted off. Would it be better to remove the panel and patch, or to patch the panel in place. I'm not doing a restoration but want it too look stock.

The biggest problem I've come across is that the sealer between the bed and the skirt fails and the corrosion starts inside there. It would be awful tricky trying to clean that up with it left completely assembled. I've been planning on box repairs but haven't gotten around to it yet, the more I look at it the more likely I am to cut the skirts off and make a bumper/tire carrier that wraps around.

This is what a brand new skirt looks like:

20141013_105320_Android.jpg

20141013_105335_Android.jpg

20141013_105406_Android.jpg

When I was starting on my restoration, the shop I was considering for the paint work told me to buy all new skirts. I bought this on eBay, but it was the only one I could find (pass side, rear). I decided not to use that shop, they were too expensive (they do a lot of "show car" work, which I didn't want that level of quality). I ended up not doing a total rebuild on my bed, we flipped the bed over and cleaned the seams out really well and glassed over them. So I have this skirt, would love to sell it. Let me know if you're interested, I'd rather avoid listing it on eBay.

Those things are discontinued by the way so finding them is not easy.

Thanks for the image, it seems like a simple fold that wouldn't be the hardest thing to to repair. If it was the driver rear I would be all over it, how much are you asking for it, I may be interested if it's cheap enough.

Ya that's why I changed my strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom