Lower Ball Joint Pro Tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UBJ removal - cut off the pin and it gives you room to push the UBJ up and out into the receiver cup on top.

New UBJ install - you are now pushing down and in. Since you don't need the receiver cup up top any more, you can use the full spread of the jaws to make room for the bottom pin. As long as they have a hole in the middle you can stack cups to accommodate the full length of the new pin. The press orientation is the same, you just use the cups differently.
Makes sense. Thanks for this 👍🏻

I used the hammer method on my LBJ and was very surprised how quickly and easily it came out.
How did you remove the circlip on the LBJ? My new circlip pliers don’t seem to reach the wide ends of the circlip.
7174F0F3-F931-4740-8758-84F37AD7E036.jpeg

Reactions: MJK
Makes sense. Thanks for this 👍🏻

How did you remove the circlip on the LBJ? My new circlip pliers don’t seem to reach the wide ends of the circlip.
View attachment 2324765

circlip-remove-lower-bj-jpg.2319437

Normal vice grips will work also.. just clamp the edge of the circlip and hammer off the other side.

Passenger UBJ done.

2F7D3768-7D38-4226-8AF1-0E170A4B7AC6.jpeg

Since I don’t have a grinder to cut the shaft of the UBJ, this is what I did. I slowly aligned the tip of the c-clamp thread bolt to bind to the old UBJ, when it latched flat that’s when I knew it was aligned.

562842DC-CF01-408D-9456-3E5564555917.jpeg

A bit sketchy at first but closely looking at the adapter making sure it remained flat, I kept on cranking until it popped.

For pressing the new UBJ. This is what I did:

5D378338-56FD-45EA-8D0B-792156F5AD01.jpeg

F27D6888-5C77-44EB-88B4-87AC86984298.jpeg

I then pulled down the UCA since there is just no room for the inverted c-clamp to crank it using 1/2” breaker bar or ratchet. So I made a simple jig physics-inspired.

UBJ finally pressed in, secured and booted:
D5987974-2F43-4D9E-BF81-9D78B57D9B63.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol, that's awesome good job.

Update:
LBJ now out, used this method (took me about 5mins to do):
8C4C2520-083B-49A5-A515-AFBF079385D5.jpeg

Now I’m im trying to put in the new LBJ but again the length of this c-clamp press is not enough to fit in the pipe catcher and LBJ in one.
44EAB445-7940-4BEC-9E6B-2DEC81728499.jpeg

I was able to whack my way through using my 4lb sledgehammer to press it up the LCA but not enough to put in the new snap ring/retaining clip
D1775AA9-68AC-429E-BF9B-0ACC628D00BC.jpeg

Any other methods/ways you can suggest?

Update:
LBJ now out, used this method (took me about 5mins to do):
View attachment 2325571

Now I’m im trying to put in the new LBJ but again the length of this c-clamp press is not enough to fit in the pipe catcher and LBJ in one.
View attachment 2325574

I was able to whack my way through using my 4lb sledgehammer to press it up the LCA but not enough to put in the new snap ring/retaining clip
View attachment 2325583

Any other methods/ways you can suggest?

Not saying this is for everybody. I removed the boot.

1590968011216.png

Then I used the press tool that came in the 46 piece kit that perfectly fits the inner rim on the LBJ, and gave it a smack with my 4bl hammer and it popped into place.

1590968049896.png

Installed the snap ring and then sprayed the LBJ and snap ring with a clear coat to keep rust away. Time will tell if it lasts.

1590968162188.png

Thanks @OwnerCS , followed a little bit of your method but didn’t remove the LCA anymore. I ended up with this another physics gravity-inspired style:

018C99B2-68BE-48FC-AB46-2495E5235A7B.jpeg

Used the jack as leverage at the bottom plus @RuskiE39 ’s pipe from O’Reilly, placed the 2.75” pipe from the bj kit on top of the LCA to clear the head of the LBJ, let the sledgehammer do it’s thing, and it worked!

Ta-da!
AC8D15AC-ADBA-4501-9065-0ED7F1113EF9.jpeg

Mahalo everyone who helped with recommendations and hopefully the next mudder to do their BJs can use this thread in the future. 🤙🏻

3DF484D5-961A-49FC-A9B0-F27ED7A13E1C.jpeg

Cheers to a weekend of good ol’ wrenching.

In the spirit of continuous learning and sharing, here is the final product:
52599F53-935C-4906-B534-A9E9A6695065.jpeg

Inner tie rods still intact and no real reason to replace was the main reason why it wasn’t performed.

Aligned the steering wheel thru the inner tie rods manually using this method:

Toe settings on both left and right front tires are spot on equally measured.

Camber @ -0.6° on both sides. I guess we’re good to go then.

Last edited:
Sub’d. My steering isn’t tracking as straight as I want it to be, a bit loose and veers to the right even after alignment. PO maintenance record doesn’t show anything pertaining to an upper and/or lower ball joint replacement so I’m assuming this is still the factory one from 2006 along with the L&R tire rods.

Just sent an email to @cruiseroutfit for a set of upper and lower ball joints.
View attachment 2317648
Will definitely get this pipe for the press-in install of the lowers.

Not sure if someone's already pointed to this for you as I haven't reviewed the full thread. This sounds more like diff bushings.

Good luck with your repair, the ball joints from cruiser outfitters are a nice product and their service is top notch.

Not sure if someone's already pointed to this for you as I haven't reviewed the full thread. This sounds more like diff bushings.

Good luck with your repair, the ball joints from cruiser outfitters are a nice product and their service is top notch.
Thanks yes I agree, the quality of the Sankei 555 is two thumbs up. I am curious about the diff bushings to cause the steering not to track straight. It’s on my to-do list very soon though.

Thanks yes I agree, the quality of the Sankei 555 is two thumbs up. I am curious about the diff bushings to cause the steering not to track straight. It’s on my to-do list very soon though.

If there is a bad/worn out bushing, the rack will hold slightly. Will feel like the steering has a "memory". When they start to get worse the wheel will feel vague and the vehicle will track with imperfections in the road. It is a safety issue at that point.

You can test this by removing the front skid, set your camera to record and aim it at the steering rack. Move the rack back and forth. If when you review the video you see the rack move before the wheels begin to turn, you'll have your answer. A VERY small amount of movement prior to the wheels moving is acceptable as it's the rack needs to load tension onto the crossmember.

I did all 4 ball joints (and rebooted both CV's) last weekend and with the help of this thread it was a relatively straightforward job. Took the whole spindle off, using a Pitman arm puller to free the upper ball joints and a BFH for the lowers. I used the bigger ball joint kit of the 2 that my local Advance Auto had for loan, and it generally worked. I cut the studs off all the joints before pressing out. I may have been able to get by without doing that, but my grinder was handy. I ended up taking the boot off the lowers for pressing in, otherwise all the tubes were just a little too big to work properly. There was no need to remove either of the control arms, since I already had the spindle out for the CV work. Doing the first side took a while for figuring some things out, but side #2 took under an hour, not counting the CV reboot part. Thanks all!

Oh, and placed my first order with @cruiseroutfit for the ball joints and CV boot kits, and the whole experience was great!

If there is a bad/worn out bushing, the rack will hold slightly. Will feel like the steering has a "memory". When they start to get worse the wheel will feel vague and the vehicle will track with imperfections in the road. It is a safety issue at that point.
You can test this by removing the front skid, set your camera to record and aim it at the steering rack. Move the rack back and forth. If when you review the video you see the rack move before the wheels begin to turn, you'll have your answer. A VERY small amount of movement prior to the wheels moving is acceptable as it's the rack needs to load tension onto the crossmember.
Got you on that.

D2DF18C1-92DE-41FD-8E44-21CC6C1C2EE7.gif

Yup you’re right the steering rack bushings are shot as the rack is moving laterally.

Last edited:
I do all of my own work...so usually purchase good quality tools. IF you want Proto's then just google 'Proto 205g' and find the best price. But there are much less expensive pliers available that will do the same thing for you and makes more sense if you rarely use them. But here is a link for the Proto's:

These also look a lot like the wilde lock ring pliers that can be found on eBay. Made in USA and work very well (inexpensive too)

Screenshot_20210119-002851_eBay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom