Lower ball joint OR complete Lower control arm replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.highlineoutdoor.com
Hola y'all. I need to replace my lower front ball joints as you can see in the image. I have heard a special tool is required to push out the old ones and Toyota only sells the whole control arm that includes the ball joint and special too. Has anyone here had success with just replacing the ball joint? If so, did you have the special tool? This truck spends 99.9% of its time on the worst of worst off-road central American roads.

unnamed.png

OEM is not too expensive either. If you can afford OEM, I highly recommend to stay with OEM.
You'll need a ball joint separator to take if off the knuckle. If you plant o work on your own car, it's best to get the ball joint separator kit which is about $40 on ebay. search "5pc Front End Service Tool Kit Ball Joint Separator Pitman Arm Tie Rod Puller US"

No need for a ball joint separator (which you can rent for free from most auto parts places, no need to buy for a very infrequent job) for a tie rod end. As posted, Cruiser Outfitters is a great source for Sankei ends, quality Japanese product.

I did the entire lower control arm on both sides since the inner bushings were creaking over every bump. Going to just do the joints next time.

I removed the lower ball joints with a BFH. Local auto parts store will have the press tool to get the new one in.

Auto Zome around here loans the clamp style tool to remove/install. I also used a 2" pipe close nipple as a spacer to aid in the process. Loan is free within the allotted time frame, and no damage to tools.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom