Lower Ball Joint Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright so it was my turn... What a f**king s***ty thing to have happen! Thankfully I had almost come to a stop the moment it let go as I was preparing to reverse into a carpark on the side of the road pictured. The strange thing is, the actual ball joint hasnt failed in my situation, but the 4 bolts that hold the ball joint bracket onto the rear of the hub have failed. Two of them have worked themselves loose and were not there post incident and the other two sheared off causing the incident (I presume).

So this raises a couple of questions for me.

1. Is this typically what happens when people experience a lower ball joint failure? The LBJ bracket bolts fail?

2. I recently replaced the CV boots both sides on this car and throughly inspected the bearings to be in good working order. When doing the drivers side, one of the bolts had seized and snapped off during removal requiring some handy work with a welder to remove. As such when I replaced the bolts, I applied a quality anti-seize paste to the threads of the original bolts to prevent future seizing. Is it possible the anti-seize paste has allowed the bolts to work loose resulting in this incident?

As a result of this incident, the CV joint on that side failed also. I managed to fix the car on the side of the road by picking up a 2nd hand CV joint from the local wrecker (just to get me by till the new ones arrive) and 4 new high tensile bolts to reattach the LBJ to the rear of the hub. It's now driving fine and I have all new uppper and lower ball joints, sway bar linkages and CV joints on order and hopefully will have them installed this weekend if they arrive in time. One thing i've learned from this experience and i'd like to share with others is to not reuse old bolts in critical components like this. In a pinch? Yeah thats fine but for the cost of $20 woth of bolts, go and buy all new ones when you take these old ones off for maintainence purposes - expecially as it's well documented that the 90/95 series all have this as a known problem. I'd also maybe suggest tightening the bolts by hand. I used a rattle gun and may have been too heavy handed with retightening old bolts! 2-3 minutes before this pic was taken, my 9yo son and I were doing 110km/h on the freeway. It makes sick to my stomach that this could have happened at high speed. I've been doing a lot of maintainence and upgrade work around this car lately (as and when I can afford) and was 99% confident my LBJ's were fine despite the warnings I have read about. So this really got me by surprise!

As they say, check your balls! and buy new bolts for them too! I found my bolts at Mitre 10. Bunnings didnt have the 1.25mm thread sizes on the M10s bolts. Repco and Supercheap range was a bit random too and didnt have what I needed at the time.

Bolt sizes for each side are: 2 @ (M10 x 1.25 x 25mm) and 2 @ (M10 x 1.25 x 50mm). The 50mm ones I had to cut down to about 40mm to fit.

If anyone can provide answers to my questions above, that would be great and I hope someone finds this useful!

Heres a great linnk on how to inspect your balls! Lower Ball Joint (LBJ) Inspection, Prado 90 Series - https://mighty90s.com/forums/discussion/72/lower-ball-joint-lbj-inspection-prado-90-series

IMG_20220619_163217.jpg

1. My understanding, from the 4Runner guys here stateside, is that the typical LBJ point of failure is the balljoint itself and not the bolts.

2. I've never used anti-seize on suspension bolts.

...that being said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone here. I've done plenty of things that resulted in valuable lessons too.

Just glad you're OK and neither you nor your son got hurt.

...that being said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone here. I've done plenty of things that resulted in valuable lessons too.

Just glad you're OK and neither you nor your son got hurt.
Thanks mate!

I re-watched the "how to" YouTube video where I got the anti seize idea from and realized where I got my wires crossed. The person applied anti seize to the sleeves of the ball joint bolt holes and to the ball joints themselves, NOT the threads of the bolts! They also applied a bit of lock tight to the threads which actually makes sense. Looking forward to replacing all these old components and doing it right!

So I broke down and bought myself a 2-door 1998 at an auction. Condition unknown other than the engine runs. I've been educating myself and intend to replace the lower ball joints regardless of whether there is any play.

Toyodiy says that my truck uses

JOINT ASSY, LOWER BALL, FRONT RH
43330-39415

Toyota Parts & Accessories Online | Checkered Flag Toyota Parts - https://toyotaparts.checkeredflag.com/ translates this to:

Part Number: 43330-39585
Options: Right
Other Names: Joint Assembly Lower Ball
Replaces: 43330-39415, 43330-39575​

JOINT ASSY, LOWER BALL, FRONT LH
43340-39325

Toyota Parts & Accessories Online | Checkered Flag Toyota Parts - https://toyotaparts.checkeredflag.com/ translates this to:

Part Number: 43340-39465
Options: Left​
Other Names: Joint Assembly Lower Ball​
Replaces: 43340-39325, 43340-39455, 43340-39475​

Toyodiy also says it needs 8 ball joint bolts, all the same:

BOLT (FOR FRONT LOWER BALL JOINT RH)
90105-10406

Suspension Ball Joint Bolt
Product ID: 90080-10066

Anyone have any reaction to the different part numbers? Would they just be an updated item?

So I broke down and bought myself a 2-door 1998 at an auction. Condition unknown other than the engine runs. I've been educating myself and intend to replace the lower ball joints regardless of whether there is any play.

Toyodiy says that my truck uses

JOINT ASSY, LOWER BALL, FRONT RH
43330-39415

Part Number: 43330-39585
Options: Right​
Replaces: 43330-39415, 43330-39575​

JOINT ASSY, LOWER BALL, FRONT LH
43340-39325

Part Number: 43340-39465
Options: Left​
Replaces: 43340-39325, 43340-39455, 43340-39475​

Toyodiy also says it needs 8 ball joint bolts, all the same:

BOLT (FOR FRONT LOWER BALL JOINT RH)
90105-10406

Suspension Ball Joint Bolt
Product ID: 90080-10066

Anyone have any reaction to the different part numbers? Would they just be an updated item?

There was a recall on all of these LBJ’s during the 1990’s/early 2000’s.

The new PN is updated to reflect supersessions.

Thank you OGB. Much appreciated. I'm a complete novice in the Prado world. It was just so cute and forlorn that I could not help myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom