low test or high test fuel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

87 oct will do just fine.

Excellent! So I take it its not a very high compression engine then.

Ill be sure to post some pictures up for you guys tomorrow! She's a beauty. She's also my first truck ever after a 97 honda civic, a 99 audi a4, and a 99 bmw 328i. I'm excited!

I remember growing up and my parents had two of them as we lived on dirt roads that would flood. One was an 86 and one was a 90. I remember the water being up to our windowsills in the car!

So its a bit nostalgic for me hehe

87 oct will do just fine.

really? so there is no benefit to running higher oct gas? I have had my 1994 for about a year now and it has never drank anything but 91 oct plus I add a 1/4 bottle of Lucas flue injector cleaner to every fill up. this may be overkill but the price is not That much more maybe 10-15 dollars a tank and it makes me feel like I'm doing my part to keep the engine running well. In the end it may not make a difference but it makes me feel go so i do it.:bounce::cheers::beer:

really? so there is no benefit to running higher oct gas? I have had my 1994 for about a year now and it has never drank anything but 91 oct plus I add a 1/4 bottle of Lucas flue injector cleaner to every fill up. this may be overkill but the price is not That much more maybe 10-15 dollars a tank and it makes me feel like I'm doing my part to keep the engine running well. In the end it may not make a difference but it makes me feel go so i do it.:bounce::cheers::beer:

As far as I know a vehicle that is intended to run 87 per the owners manual will actually run worse on a higher octane. At least that was true with my older motorcycles.. I'm assuming its true for any engine. But I could be wrong

I am not so sure. When I had my headgasket done, there was a tremendous amount of carbon in there. The computer of the truck is excellent and offsets some of the effects of pinging and detenation issues so you won't notice it. I run mid grade in all my cars except the suprcharged one. I know lots who run midgrade in the supercharged truck as well. I run Premium in that truck.

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I've put nothing but 87 octane for the past 10 years, and I have 160k miles and im on the original head gasket.

I cant resist the newbie welcome sign:flipoff2: Your now officially a mud member:D Welcome to the group and I hope you like to read:doh:

Toyota says 87 for her so thats all my 80 gets plus a bottle of lucas every month;)

Shoot me a pm if you want to go wheelin sometime or need anything:cheers: Jason...

I am not so sure. When I had my headgasket done, there was a tremendous amount of carbon in there...

Most carbon buildup can be traced to driving habits rather than grade/brand of fuel/oil. Most of the time motors with high carbon buildup have been driven in short trip mode at sometime in their past. When driven on short drives, the fuel system runs rich and there is more moisture present, if the motor is turned off before reaching operating temp, this mixture will deposit as carbon buildup.

Most carbon buildup can be traced to driving habits rather than grade/brand of fuel/oil. Most of the time motors with high carbon buildup have been driven in short trip mode at sometime in their past. When driven on short drives, the fuel system runs rich and there is more moisture present, if the motor is turned off before reaching operating temp, this mixture will deposit as carbon buildup.

Good points Kevin. 87 is midgrade here in Colorado due to the altitude, thats why both 4 runners and the other 80 run that garde. I noticed pre-supercharger that the vehicle ran better with 87 grade rather than the 85 Octane reg Unleaded. Felt some pinging and hesitation a few times. Could have been cheap gas, but when I switched to 87 Octane, never happened even at the cheap places.

When I first got her, I put in HiTest, and w/in 5miles my check engine light came on..........Ran her dry and from then on she has been on 85/87 depending on what I find.

Interesting points. I have always run the highest octane in any motor over 100k. Perhaps I am being too anal here. I have noticed a difference in cars that I have owned in the past, but this pig is still new to me. I'll try on the next fill up with 87 (midgrade in Colorado).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom