Low sulpher diesel in a 1988 13B-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering the purchase of a 1988 BJ74 with the 13B-T engine and had a question regarding the available ULSD fuel in the states. For those who have this engine, have you noticed any increase in fuel pump/injector wear? Do you add any chemicals at fill ups? I work on a ship and we have converted the medium speed four strokes diesel to low sulpher fuel (from heavy fuel) and had to add oil injection lines to help the fuel pumps with lubricity. Thanks in advance! Bob

I am considering the purchase of a 1988 BJ74 with the 13B-T engine and had a question regarding the available ULSD fuel in the states. For those who have this engine, have you noticed any increase in fuel pump/injector wear? Do you add any chemicals at fill ups? I work on a ship and we have converted the medium speed four strokes diesel to low sulpher fuel (from heavy fuel) and had to add oil injection lines to help the fuel pumps with lubricity. Thanks in advance! Bob

Are you running red diesel on the ships? Just wondering.

Ok so then red diesel is low sulfur as well.

10386.jpg

G'Day Fella's,

2wheelbob, this is what I have been adding to my fuel (Chemtech Diesel Power), for over 300,000 kms.
Getting 10+ liters of it for free, certainly helped convince me to use it.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Coldtaco and Beno, could you please explain what the 2 stroke oil etc, does, by adding it to your fuel?

Regards
Homer

This is a good thread as I was wondering what the effects of ultra low sulfur diesel does to the JDM diesel engines (shrink seals, etc).

It is unclear when Japan started reducing the PPM of sulfur in diesel sold there but it seems to be around 1992 or 1993 so any engine before that probably requires the preventive measures outlined in this thread?

G'Day Fella's,

Coldtaco and Beno, could you please explain what the 2 stroke oil etc, does, by adding it to your fuel?

Regards
Homer
it provides seal lubrication. but it does not provide any cold weather protection, that is where you will want to use something else ;
Opti-Lube XPD, FPPF, Schaeffer, are just some examples. these all have different results per testing that you can find online.

This is a good thread as I was wondering what the effects of ultra low sulfur diesel does to the JDM diesel engines (shrink seals, etc).

It is unclear when Japan started reducing the PPM of sulfur in diesel sold there but it seems to be around 1992 or 1993 so any engine before that probably requires the preventive measures outlined in this thread?
have you introduced us to your new vehicle yet? I can't seem to recall. Are you keeping both?

what @beno said.

250ml (what ever that is in murica) into your tank each time you fill up of regular old garden 2stroke. forget all the additive stuff, its bull****. try the 2stroke oil and watch how much smoother and quieter it runs.

I don't think the lack of sulphur was the big deal everyone thought it was and its not actually the sulphur that does the "lubricating".
It was more a case that when they took the sulphur out to comply with emissions laws, other compounds that did lubricate came out with it.
In more recent years fuel refiners have worked out how to add back lubricity. Shell Australia are adding 5% bio fuel to their diesels
Countries that do have a high proportion of diesels do not have diesel pumps dying left right and centre.
Inline pumps are much less prone to wear than rotary and would be the least affected.

I don't think the lack of sulphur was the big deal everyone thought it was and its not actually the sulphur that does the "lubricating".
It was more a case that when they took the sulphur out to comply with emissions laws, other compounds that did lubricate came out with it.
In more recent years fuel refiners have worked out how to add back lubricity. Shell Australia are adding 5% bio fuel to their diesels
Countries that do have a high proportion of diesels do not have diesel pumps dying left right and centre.
Inline pumps are much less prone to wear than rotary and would be the least affected.

Hello,

Diesel engines are sturdier than we think.

Fiddling too much with the fuel adjusting screw, for instance, especially when you do not know what you are doing, kills more engines than sulfur. Engine abuse is deadlier than sulfur as well.

I agree, companies work on fuel formulations with better lubricity.

In the end it is the same case as that of viscosity modifiers with engine oil. A few fluid ounces of an off-the-shelf additive will do.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom