Low speed ABS activation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently did my front brake pads/rotors, lower ball joints, and repacked the wheel bearings on my 1999 LC.

When I come to a stop (1-5mph), I can feel the brake pedal pulsing and what sounds like ABS activating. I have no ABS lights on. I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed.

So far I've cleaned out the front sensors again, and checked the ABS rings, which seem in good condition. I followed FSM for wheel bearings, and I double checked that they are tight (14lb preload). I've haven't been able to spot anything loose or incorrectly installed.

My question is could a bad wheel speed sensor cause this even though I don't have a ABS light on? Also, is there a way I can disable ABS to ensure that this is an ABS issue not something else? I don't want to start ordering $200 sensors before I'm sure it's the issue.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to start unplugging wheel speed sensors to confirm that it is an ABS issue. Then I'll fire up the techstream and try and get some speed readouts.

I think I'm going to start unplugging wheel speed sensors to confirm that it is an ABS issue. Then I'll fire up the techstream and try and get some speed readouts.
Sounds like a good approach.

I think I found the problem. Upper caliper bolt is gone. I'm must have forgot to use my torque wrench on it, now to find a replacement bolt.
IMG_20210806_075425197 (1).jpg

might be stripped be careful
Fortunately it wasn't stripped, I just forgot to torque it.

Live in rust belt, that bolt is welded shut by salt, no need to loctite.
Haha true, it's a Oklahoma truck so its not too rusty yet. Gotta re-apply fluid film soon though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom