Low speed ABS activation on light braking - help?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by IdahoDoug, Feb 20, 2009.

1. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

My brother in law (BIL)s 330,000 mile 93 is activating the ABS for no reason today. I searched and read the FAQ on this but there didn't seem to be much - though I do suck at searching as the search function hates me in a deeply personal way.

So. I am planning to g-e-n-t-l-y pull and clean the ABS sensors but before I do, has this actually worked for anyone before??

DougM

2. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

3. little_joe

little_joe SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Doug, mine does this but only after a cold start when the rpm's are higher. Once at normal operating temperature I never experience it. I don't know the fix (the link above is helpful), but I am tearing down my front end next weekend and hope a rebuild w/ new pads and rotors and a clean ABS sensor solves this.

4. brwnj60

brwnj60

mine has done it since i replaced with the aftermarket birfs last fall. I am going to try that shim trick this weekend, i have pulled and cleaned/studied them lots no metal fragments and no solution !

5. retrofive

retrofive

Mine did the exact thing for 2 weeks. By time I had time to look into it..... it stopped and has never returned. Took it to local tire/brake place to see if they noticed anything and got some lame answer of "well unless the ABS light is on, we can't diagnose" ... boo on that.

All the same, I never did find out or know what caused that same issue.

6. brwnj60

brwnj60

the abs light on never gave me a code, as it always cleared itself when i turned the vehicle on and off.
    My wife has corrected me (she is the daily driver) and said that i was happening before we did the birfs though...

7. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    Cleaning them works, it's most likely one of the rear sensors causing the issue as they get all the brake shavings on them.

8. brwnj60

brwnj60

OMFG i am stupid, i never thought of the rear sensors i have cleaned the fronts 3 or 4 times....

9. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Cool, will check the rear sensors.

DougM

10. brwnj60

brwnj60

did the rear cleaning work for y'all ? My left rear had about a 1/4" of gunk on it and the right one was clean...yup the left is the side that gives me all the seized parking bake trouble. Y truck has stopped intermittently popping n the ABS warning light, but I am still getting the low speed activation...gonna try the shims today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.