Low range functions not working/no indicator lights **2000 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, first post here, after a lot of reading. I can't find anyone describing exactly these symptoms, so here goes:
Vehicle is a 2000 UZJ, 233k miles.
The center diff lock works when the switch is operated, and the corresponding lights for this and the disabled VSC illuminate. This works in high or low range.
When low range is selected, all the big stuff seems to behave normally, but nothing illuminates. In addition, the center diff remains unlocked and (I assume, didn't want to check where I tested the rest) ABS function is unchanged as well.

I don't know what mechanism tells the car when it's in low range, but I'm thinking there's a problem with mine. Where to start?

EDIT: This car doesn't seem to have much of an offroad history. It's from Santa Barbara and the underside is very clean, so I don't think any POs modified the wiring to behave like this.

There's a switch on the back of the transfer case (two, actually) that are on top. They screw in with a large socket. They go bad. The rear most one is probably bad. They are cheap to replace.

In the 2000 and newer models the center diff is not automatically engaged when in 4LO. You need to press the button.

I actually don’t remember iif ABS light should be on when in 4LO for the 2000 model. My 1999 model does show ABS light. My daughter drives my 2000 LX and I don’t engage the 4LO enough to remember. if abs comes on.

If your t-case shifter moves to L, you’re in low range regardless of what the dash lights do or don’t do. But as @nukegoat noted, you probably have a bad L position switch on the t-case, which is why lights aren’t coming on.

B64E012C-6D5A-48AD-B607-DC760BDCD5E8.jpeg

4DC82AE9-47B8-429A-850D-D45A22080A05.jpeg

Last edited:
That much is clear! "all the big stuff seems to behave normally" from the OP. Is the LO position switch the same type as the CDL position indicator?

There are no dash indications when transfer case is in LO. Sounds like everything is functioning normally.

I saw a video done long ago by Toyota and it states in 4Lo and shifter in L, the atrac works aggresively to lock the slipping wheel.

There's a switch on the back of the transfer case (two, actually) that are on top. They screw in with a large socket. They go bad. The rear most one is probably bad. They are cheap to replace.

There are no dash indications when transfer case is in LO. Sounds like everything is functioning normally.

Okay, hmmm...I too do not have lights on the dash when in Low or transfer case in Neutral. Can confirm I am in either in Low or Neutral by either I crawl or don't move at all. So what are L Position Switch's and Neutral Positions Switch's functions? I don't even see these light's when I start the rig. Can someone post a picture of these lights, and confirm the answer, lights or no lights.

Okay, hmmm...I too do not have lights on the dash when in Low or transfer case in Neutral. Can confirm I am in either in Low or Neutral by either I crawl or don't move at all. So what are L Position Switch's and Neutral Positions Switch's functions? I don't even see these light's when I start the rig. Can someone post a picture of these lights, and confirm the answer, lights or no lights.

Inputs into ECU and optional equipment like diff lockers.

No lights whatsoever to indicate transfer case position on a 2003. You know because it drives differently. Normal lights for CDL—VSC off and...I forget the other one.

Inputs into ECU and optional equipment like diff lockers.

No lights whatsoever to indicate transfer case position on a 2003. You know because it drives differently. Normal lights for CDL—VSC off and...I forget the other one.

I think what we're seeing on our pre-refresh models is NO lights at all. Didn't imagine there was an indicator LIGHT for low range.

I'm getting some conflicting answers, some saying post-2000 does not lock the CD in low, some it does. If your 2003 DOES lock the CD, I should probably be having mine do the same.

I am expecting to see ABS, VSC off and CDL lights upon putting the car in low range. I get no lights, but I do get some of these lights when locking the center diff manually(as you'd hope)

I have gathered that the switch that understands the car is in low range is the same type as the one on the CDL(
84222-12010 or replica part), and that this is probably to blame.

For a 2000 vehicle, is the bolded text correct?

Hope someone else pops in—I don't know the answer for sure. In a 2003 (and my guess is that your 2000 is the same), dropping to low range does not automatically lock the CDL. IIRC A-Trac was added in 2000 and the system change should explain the difference.

Hope someone else pops in—I don't know the answer for sure. In a 2003 (and my guess is that your 2000 is the same), dropping to low range does not automatically lock the CDL. IIRC A-Trac was added in 2000 and the system change should explain the difference.
That is correct.

^this. With A-TRAC added in 2000, the CDL does not automatically engage in 4LO, must manually press the CDL button. You'll commonly see reference here to the "Pin 7" (?) mod for 98/99 model years that will disable the automatic engagement of the CDL.

Sounds like everything is working fine, including (likely) your L detector switch. As @saucebox said, the switch is just an input to other ECUs to allow engagement of the (optional) rear diff lock and to adjust tranny shift points.

If your ABS light comes on, then turns off at startup that system is fine. I think mine comes on also when my rear diff lock is engaged, don’t remember though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom