Low Profile Pintle Receiver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked through all the existing threads via searching these forums and quite a bit googling, but I'm still not finding what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a low profile pintle receiver for my cargo carrier. I have this one.

All of the ones I'm finding hang down too low. I'm looking for one that is flush with the bumper for maximum clearance.

This one would be perfect and might work... but I'm not sure about how strong it would be since the receiver doesn't have a collar.

This one hangs down past the bumper, but is the right bolt pattern.

This one is the wrong bolt pattern, but is great other than that.

This one might be able to be modded to fit by drilling new holes, but I'd like to avoid that if I can just find something that will work out of the box.

I've seen one in these forums that was perfect, but it was made custom from scratch.

Does anyone know of something that fits the description for what I'm looking for? Or does it just not exist? Will the first one I posted be strong enough? Thanks in advance.

To be clear are you looking for a receiver hitch that bolts on to the pintle holes in the OEM bumper? If so I'd just look for a used OEM receiver hitch that bolts on below the bumper. I personally would not trust the OEM bumper to support that weight cantilevered out so far.

To be clear are you looking for a receiver hitch that bolts on to the pintle holes in the OEM bumper? If so I'd just look for a used OEM receiver hitch that bolts on below the bumper. I personally would not trust the OEM bumper to support that weight cantilevered out so far.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I already have the OEM receiver hitch, but took it off because it hangs down too low.

^^^ This. Spare tire protector. If not for that, I probably would have already torn up my 285 Duratrac mounted down there. If I ever do a swing bumper I could remove it, but until then it serves a purpose.

I've looked through all the existing threads via searching these forums and quite a bit googling, but I'm still not finding what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a low profile pintle receiver for my cargo carrier. I have this one.

All of the ones I'm finding hang down too low. I'm looking for one that is flush with the bumper for maximum clearance.

This one would be perfect and might work... but I'm not sure about how strong it would be since the receiver doesn't have a collar.

This one hangs down past the bumper, but is the right bolt pattern.

This one is the wrong bolt pattern, but is great other than that.

This one might be able to be modded to fit by drilling new holes, but I'd like to avoid that if I can just find something that will work out of the box.

I've seen one in these forums that was perfect, but it was made custom from scratch.

Does anyone know of something that fits the description for what I'm looking for? Or does it just not exist? Will the first one I posted be strong enough? Thanks in advance.

You might go to a welding shop and have them plasma cut a 1/4" plate with the pintle mount holes and weld it onto your cargo carrier. Four bolts on, four bolts off and no knee cap banging when you aren't using it. Just a thought.

Do you mind cutting into your rear bumper/crossmember? If not, get the one Slee sells. It looks and works great. The only downfall would be if you still carry your spare under the truck. The hitch has triangulated support that renders the spare tire carrier unusable.

Hitch I'm referring to:

image.png

Her is mine installed on the factory bumper:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also have a question. With whatever one you end up going with, are you sure the tailgate will still be able to be opened completely when the basket is on the truck? Seems like probably not.

I personally would not trust the OEM bumper to support that weight cantilevered out so far.

This is something I never thought of before. If I go with the Slee unit, I think it will be ok, but probably not the others.

Hangs too low, for what? I still run mine and I consider it a spare tire protector and rear slider. So what, it bangs on things. I have gone everywhere the guys with 35s and fancy 4x4labs rear bumpers have.

It gets caught(along with my tire) the few times i've been out to my folks property fairly easily. It's just deep mud, but lots of rocks and such mixed in. I've already broken off the 5 pin hitch plate and bent back the chain loops on the hitch as well. I'm just looking at maximum clearence without buying a $2500 bumper that I can't afford.

^^^ This. Spare tire protector. If not for that, I probably would have already torn up my 285 Duratrac mounted down there. If I ever do a swing bumper I could remove it, but until then it serves a purpose.

Maybe I'll just have my brother weld some skid plates to it or something. *shrugs*

You might go to a welding shop and have them plasma cut a 1/4" plate with the pintle mount holes and weld it onto your cargo carrier. Four bolts on, four bolts off and no knee cap banging when you aren't using it. Just a thought.

I thought about that, but then I'd be limiting its use to my rig only and would be limiting buyers if I decide to sell it in the future.

I want one to mount a spare on. The Gator one looks perfect. Is the bolt hole pattern the same?

It is. It just doesn't have a collar, so I'm not sure how strong it is. My guess is not very.

Do you mind cutting into your rear bumper/crossmember? If not, get the one Slee sells. It looks and works great. The only downfall would be if you still carry your spare under the truck. The hitch has triangulated support that renders the spare tire carrier unusable.

Hitch I'm referring to:

View attachment 1236485

I can't believe I missed that... that looks perfect for what I need.... only thing is the spare... right now I'm using the stock location, but I'll keep this in mind.

Her is mine installed on the factory bumper:

View attachment 1236490

View attachment 1236491

I also have a question. With whatever one you end up going with, are you sure the tailgate will still be able to be opened completely when the basket is on the truck? Seems like probably not.

I never thought of that either... haha. It does stick out quite a bit, but I'll measure when I get home tonight.

Looks like I might just stick with the factory hitch setup in combination with welding some skid plates, but we'll see. I really like the Slee unit, but I just modded the stock tire carrier so the tire sits higher and it works really well. I can't really afford to get a bumper with a tire carrier and the hitch mounted tire carriers mean I can't use my cargo basket... I'll try and figure something out.

How much do you want to spend? Google Vario Block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom