Low profile front chains/cables without spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've read the past chains threads and know the common thought is need spacers for front chains, but also know some guys were thinking about cables or some other front low-profile chains. So...

Anyone have success with low profile chains up front WITHOUT using spacers?

If yes, what's your tire/rim size?

I'm running the 285/75/16 KO2's and looks like about 1" or so gap between tire sidewall and UCA.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi All,

Done all the chain searching and clearly need at least spacers up front for a decent sized chain, but wonder if folks have fit V-bar chains up front with spacers or aftermarket wheels (ie. Methods w/+25 offset?

If yes, what tire size did you have?

Thx

s

I can't fit anything decent on my front tires but I am at a stock height. I can say that with snow tires + chains on the rear the 100 series can plow through anything.

I see your in western MT. Studded snow tires are your friend. Chains rarely get used in my world unless you are in some sketchy back road conditions. Typically going down hill with some hard pack ice / snow is when the rear end will start to get in front of you without chains.

I can't fit anything decent on my front tires but I am at a stock height. I can say that with snow tires + chains on the rear the 100 series can plow through anything.

I see your in western MT. Studded snow tires are your friend. Chains rarely get used in my world unless you are in some sketchy back road conditions. Typically going down hill with some hard pack ice / snow is when the rear end will start to get in front of you without chains.
Thanks Mike. I'm also at stock height so were you trying to fit chains with or without spacers?

I'm seriously considering a second set of wheels w/ less offset to stick out further from UCA and then run skinnier tires like a 265/70/17 or 245/75/17.

Yes, the backcountry scenario you mentioned is exactly why I'm going through this whole process. In the Bitterroot Valley the KO2's are just fine for normal winter driving since we get so few big snow days. Plus, they plow the main roads pretty quick when they do occur.

Thanks Mike. I'm also at stock height so were you trying to fit chains with or without spacers?

I'm seriously considering a second set of wheels w/ less offset to stick out further from UCA and then run skinnier tires like a 265/70/17 or 245/75/17.

Yes, the backcountry scenario you mentioned is exactly why I'm going through this whole process. In the Bitterroot Valley the KO2's are just fine for normal winter driving since we get so few big snow days. Plus, they plow the main roads pretty quick when they do occur.
Gotcha ... Yeah so I am stock all around with 265/75x16 . Im not a big fan of spacers but that's just me.

I also have ko2s and yeah the rock in the snowy condition but they slip like butter in that hard pack ice/snow. I run studded snow tires all winter and sometimes chain up the rear tires for low speed mountain driving .

Id rather invest in studded snows than different rims to fit the chains but I guess it just depends on how rowdy you get in the back country =]

Call me soft but lately if the conditions require me to chain up ,I typically just turn around and go home. I am mostly solo out there and not worth the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom