Low Oil Sensor Missing "Upper" Wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to me '97 LX450. From my '93 FZJ days, I recall the US drivers side head and block to be mainly ECT and knock sensors/connectors. All of those appear to be plugged in as best I can see from above and below the vehicle. The circled connector below has no home but I've noticed the low oil level sensor has no connector either on the drivers side of the pan. Is that what this is? It runs in the same harness as the ECT and knock sensors. If that's what this is, there must be another length of wiring between the two because they do not reach as they sit now. With no connector, I would assume (probably incorrectly) that the low-level light on the dash would be on but it is not? This top connector is a 3-wire while the oil pan is a 2-wire, just an FYI. I've been searching but most of the posts about the low-oil level light are related to bad sensors, not missing wiring. I'm not worried about it too much if it's just oil level wiring. Thanks for any help!

0D1E8D7A-6C4E-4383-A54F-B39ADC4C729F.jpeg
929F2070-163D-43BA-ADD4-F8349BD0C0A7.jpeg
05A832F2-4FD3-40D8-BF98-042339D8CB67.jpeg

5F421FCF-6775-4E09-AF6A-EC9B6B20B8D0.jpeg

Last edited:
@harrydunn you have two connectors unplugged.

The block side connector is indeed the low oil level sensor, and has a two wire harness lead. I'd look under the intake, in that rat's nest of connectors and vacuum lines, to see if someone stuck it in there. You'll have to crawl under the truck and look up; it'll likely be near the fuel filter, if it's still there. It's entirely possible that it's been clipped off. Some people's kids to stupid things.

The three wire connector in your photos should be connected to the crankshaft position sensor pigtail connector between the power steering pump and the motor mount, just above the oil pan joint. If you look over the driver's side fender, just below and behind the oil filter, you should see a sheetmetal tab, bolted onto the side of the block in that position. The connector is supposed to be slid onto that tab, to keep it out of reach of the transmission cooler hardlines just below it.

This is the only three wire connector in the engine control harness. Two wires in the connector/sensor go to the ECU, the third is a dedicated ground.

HTH

Last edited:
Great. Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Looks like maybe just the oil pan was replaced with a 93-94 pan. Maybe it was damaged somehow by original owner. Odd.

Last edited:
So the replacement 93-94 engine block in your wagon has a 95-97 oil pan then.
Is the crank sensor in the lower or the upper pan? having a brain strain Anyway, at least part of the 2 piece pan you have is from a 95-97.
The 93 engine has no tone ring on the crank but I think one can add that when it's all apart. Seems like one would add the ring.
just heard a voice say... "you're out of your element Donny"

Maybe the original pan had a hole it?

Could be. I believe it is the original block with an older pan on it. Oh well. Truck runs strong and cool and no leaks.

Happy Memorial Day, All!

1653872513862.gif

Last edited:
So does anyone know what a 93 or 94 engine uses instead of a crank position sensor? Something in the distributor?

voodoo?

It’s the only explanation!

Revisiting this more for an update that anything else. Truck continues to run great. I'm wondering if the Crank Position Sensor on these rigs is just to determine a misfire, etc. I've heard of CPS's on other vehicles that are simply for this which would explain why I'm experiencing zero issues without one. Would love to figure out for sure what they are actually for on the OBDII 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom