Low Oil pressure question 2018 LC. Any Toyo LC techs or insight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil guage is reading at 1/4 when the vehicle is warm and running at highway speeds and at idle after warm.
Cold start, guage starts at 1/2 and then drops to 1/4 when warm.
65-75 degrees outside temps.
Only 250 miles on the Land acruiser.
This does not seem normal to me and I want to know what others LC2018 or similiar vehicles oil guages are reading.
Took it to Toyota and the lead mechanic(13 yrs) said he has NEVER seen low oil pressure issues in a LC or the large frame trucks. Offered to check the voltage to the guage and physically check pressure with a external guage.
Thanks for your thoughts, mp

Your average lead Toyota mechanics know less about LCs than ih8mud. Sad statement but true.

The less than helpful 200 series oil gauge has been discussed a time or two around here...

This is exactly how my 80, 100s and 200 have all been. Without seeing it, I am 95 percent sure you are seeing a normal reading. I think they purposely do this so you can tell the difference between the vehicle working hard and being over-worked.

I also confirm my 2018 LC oil pressure guage displays exactly this behavior.

My 06 100 and 15 200 did/do the same thing. Totally normal.

My oil guage is reading at 1/4 when the vehicle is warm and running at highway speeds and at idle after warm.
Cold start, guage starts at 1/2 and then drops to 1/4 when warm.
65-75 degrees outside temps.
Only 250 miles on the Land acruiser.
This does not seem normal to me and I want to know what others LC2018 or similiar vehicles oil guages are reading.

That's normal. I got my 2013 as a 2-year-old CPO with 28k on the odometer. I now have ~75k on the odo and what you described is exactly what I've seen on my LC for almost 50k miles.

One would think that Toyota would use a different sending unit to place the needle in more of a mid gauge readout?

One would think that Toyota would use a different sending unit to place the needle in more of a mid gauge readout?

What’s funny is...I suspect if they ever do make it read middle...folks are gonna suddenly think they are overheating in endless threads here...because the 1/4=normal thing has been around so long. :)

Maybe they should just add a small green-zone on the gauge to indicate Normal range...

What’s funny is...I suspect if they ever do make it read middle...folks are gonna suddenly think they are overheating in endless threads here...because the 1/4=normal thing has been around so long. :)

Maybe they should just add a small green-zone on the gauge to indicate Normal range...

Yea, this question always makes me scratch my head. I have driven a lot of vehicles and by far 1/4 to 1/3 of gauge sweep is normal hot idle or low RPM cruise, cold idle or higher RPM is halfway or maybe up to 2/3 of sweep. A lot of gauges have 1/4 to 3/4 of sweep hashed or colored to indicate normal on older, pre 80s, vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom