Low oil pressure (pic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a low oil pressure problem and I found what looks like a cover missing right behind my oil pan. Can some one tell me what I'm missing and if this could be the problem, I don't want to change my oil pump if I don't have to.

image-1098821006.jpg
image-1098821006.jpg

Thats a flexplate access cover. Its not the source of your low oil press. Check into some threads about oil pressure,yours might be normal.

Yea thats the flexl cover. Are you actually driving when you have this low oil pressure?

I started to notice the oil pressure dropping very low when I was in the middle of a trip and had no choice but to drive back home with low pressure. I looked through the Haynes troubleshooting portion and my next step is to change the oil pump.
How much should I expect to pay at the dealer for the flex cover?

Do you have low oil pressure or is your dash gauge reading low? The stock oil pressure gauge is really more of a suggestion of what the oil pressure might be. Test the oil pressure for real before you worry too much about it.

I would hope that cover wouldn't be more than $15 at the stealership, but you never know. Hopefully one of the parts gurus will chime in.

I had written the oil pressure gauge option off already but now I think I'll get one at the autozone tomorrow and do the check.
When I was on the highway the gauge sat just below the first dash mark and when stopped it dropped all the way to the bottom. It seems to me like the gauge works but I'd defer to the experts here.

There was a thread about OP a while ago. A few reported that the issue was the sensor. Hope that is the case for you. You may also want to check the oil pump cover, the gasket is quite old and they can leak copiously.

Good luck.

You may only need a oil pressure sending unit/switch replaced. Check it as well.

I see someone has given my idea already. I should read ahead more before I post.

Last edited:
Also change your oil and check the pressure. I noticed mine was running similar to yours, and an oil change brought it back to normal. I have no idea why, but whatever. As long as oil is flowing and the engine isn't making low oil sounds i don't worry about it. These stupid gauges and their "close enough" readings drive me nuts.

What weight oil you using?

I used Mobil1 10w30 when I changed the oil 500 miles ago. This is a new to me 80 so I'm not exactly sure what the previous owner ran.

thats kinda thin, I put in 10/40 mobil one and now as the oil gets low I use straight 40 weight Mobil 1 and my pressure is coming up. I will use straight 40 next change. Oil pressure gauge reads low, even states it in the owners manual.

thats kinda thin, I put in 10/40 mobil one and now as the oil gets low I use straight 40 weight Mobil 1 and my pressure is coming up. I will use straight 40 next change. Oil pressure gauge reads low, even states it in the owners manual.

I agree with this. 10/30 is what i ran when i first got the rig. Last oil change was 10/40. After the oil change, pressure was good until 500 miles later. Pressure is low when hot, but as i top off 20/50 is going in which keeps the pressure in the "acceptable" range according to the gauge.

pressure is made after the oil pump, unless your relief valve spring is weak or broken or a severly worn pump roter then oil pump will not solve the problem.

Changed the sensor and changed the oil with 10w40. The pressure gauge is now keeping the needle in the center portion... Problem solved.

Thanks to all of you for your help

Until yesterday. While driving 4.5 hours to Lemoore the needle just dropped while I was on the highway. Pulled over to check for leaks, oil level and to make sure the electrical leads to the sensor were still connected... Everything looks fine but now the gauge is completely dead, doesn't even sputter on start

Until yesterday. While driving 4.5 hours to Lemoore the needle just dropped while I was on the highway. Pulled over to check for leaks, oil level and to make sure the electrical leads to the sensor were still connected... Everything looks fine but now the gauge is completely dead, doesn't even sputter on start

Jiggle the wire near the sender (pass side near AC compressor), I bet the contacts are pretty corroded though you can try cleaning it first perhaps reconnect with di-electric grease. A new sender doesn't cost too much.

Or in my situation, the little oil pressure sender harness died somehow...but a mudder sold me a used one for $10 and has been working perfectly fine.

use a toyota sender my vatozone one only had place for one wire, and what your describing is exactly what mine did, was cheaper to buy one from dan then napa to and it s toyota

It must be electrical, if you were really driving without oil pressure, it won't go long. I've driven a motor without oil pressure before, it only took it about 2 minutes to be completely destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom