Low oil light intermittently coming on. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 80 for 15 years and have meticulously maintained it. Recently, the low oil light has been coming on, then after a few minutes, turning off. The oil level is fine, but the light coming on is alarming and makes me concerned that there may be something potentially serious going on. The truck has 350,xxx miles on it and uses a quart around every 1,500 miles, but other than that is virtually problem free. I'm wondering if maybe the switch is gummed up, or something like that? Has anybody else ever had this problem? Or does anybody have any ideas of what may cause this?
BTW we are in Phoenix where it's been in the 100's or hotter, lately. Thanks for any suggestions.
Ned

Do you run synthetic oil? One of the benefits is less gum forming, at least with Amsoil, which is what I'm running. The only time my light has come on is when it is, in fact low. BTW, what year & motor do you have?

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have noted that- it's a 1995 with the stock 1FZ-FE engine. I've done the HG and PHH (several times), but nothing else major. Also, the dizzy seal, oil pump gasket, starter, alternator, belts and lots of oil changes. I do not run synthetic; did once and it needed oil added every 1,000 miles or so. I run 5W-30.
Ned

... I'm wondering if maybe the switch is gummed up, or something like that? ...

Could be, or have seen the foam float broken. In some cases have had luck with putting in the ultrasonic cleaner, others have just unplugged it, one got replaced with new $$$. Whatever, it's just an electric dipstick, so handy, but not essential.

95, 297k Inland southern CA ( its been hot lately ) Rotella T5 15w40, Purlator Boss filter

My light comes on a couple times a month, usually in the morning. It will stay on for the first mile or so. Oil level on the stick and pressure is good. I always look on my driveway or behind me for an oil slick. Just figure the oil level sensor is wearing out or on the fritz.

Always go by the level on your dipstick.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the connector and clean it. Most will have some oil in/on them back there.

Check the leads going to the connector as well. Most likely its an issue with the float itself.

Mine will do that from time to time when I KNOW my oil level is good. Usually, just a quick jerk of the steering wheel (when safe to do so) will slosh the oil in the pan enough to free the float up and turn the light off.

Oil Level Sender.jpg

Add another quart for good measures?

Or look into the oil fill cap hole, if you cant see oil, there is room for more!? :hillbilly:

For most, it's likely best to maintain it in the range indicated on the provided oil level checking stick.

I also get it on my 95 when I know I am not low. Have just done normal maintenance and an aftermarket pressure gauge that shows the same pressure/behavior if the light is on or off. Must be the float or the connector.

Eric

Or look into the oil fill cap hole, if you cant see oil, there is room for more!? :hillbilly:

For most, it's likely best to maintain it in the range indicated on the provided oil level checking stick.

Hah....remember about a year or so ago...someone had filled their engine to the top of the cap (or thought they were supposed to, I don't remember which).

Have you checked the oil pressure with a manual gauge? It may actually be a little worn out. Roll a set of bearings in it and you will get some of the pressure back.

Had the same issue. Replaced the oil level sender with OEM new. Fixed.

Hah....remember about a year or so ago...someone had filled their engine to the top of the cap (or thought they were supposed to, I don't remember which).

That turned out to be someone that did not know there is a baffle under the oil fill cap. Saw oil sitting on the top of the baffle and panicked. He may have overfilled the sump but never to the point of overflowing the top cap.

That turned out to be someone that did not know there is a baffle under the oil fill cap. Saw oil sitting on the top of the baffle and panicked. He may have overfilled the sump but never to the point of overflowing the top cap.

You are exactly right...I remember it now. Just had it wrong until you posted this.

Hell....I do good to remember to breath in, breath out....at my age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom