Low noise from what seems the front diff. Sounds like a dishwasher. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

update: i stepped up to 37s, and just did a 200 miles round trip and the noise disappeared. Guess new tires or tire rotation did the trick.

You may have had a rock wedged in someplace.

The noise is def in the rears and what seems to be the diff. I’ve never changed the rear fluid since I’ve had it. So I’m gonna do that now. Anyone know if Lucas gear oil is the best option?

Another thing to check is to make sure your front drive shaft is in phase. Phase is the term of your driveline being inline. The big ears of the driveline should be inline, not off by 90 degrees if that makes sense.

The noise is def in the rears and what seems to be the diff. I’ve never changed the rear fluid since I’ve had it. So I’m gonna do that now. Anyone know if Lucas gear oil is the best option?

I use the cheapest gear oil i can find and change frequently as i see many water crossings. Get a bucket pump and you can do a diff change in 5 min. I use orielly house brand. Frequent changes is better in my opinion. If your having rear end issues you don't want to dump in high dollar stuff just to drain it in a week or 2.

Another thing to check is to make sure your front drive shaft is in phase. Phase is the term of your driveline being inline. The big ears of the driveline should be inline, not off by 90 degrees if that makes sense.

Depending on year, the FRONT shaft is either IN phase or OUT of phase. The 95+ for sure are SUPPOSED to be OUT of phase. (Yoke is 90 degrees to body of shaft.)

Rear shaft is IN phase for all years.

Depending on year, the FRONT shaft is either IN phase or OUT of phase. The 95+ for sure are SUPPOSED to be OUT of phase. (Yoke is 90 degrees to body of shaft.)

Rear shaft is IN phase for all years.

Mine is a 94 and my front is out of phase. I am actually planning on fixing that in the next couple of days actually

Mine is a 94 and my front is out of phase. I am actually planning on fixing that in the next couple of days actually

Do a search on here for "Phase" with @cruiserdan . He has posted the CORRECT info previously and for what years.

I am not trying to jack the OP thread but I know for a fact my front DL is out of phase, off by 90 degrees.

Still relevant and everyone needs to be able to search.

Can anyone post pics or video of what in or out of phase looks like. It’s very likely when I was doing a reseal if front diff a few months ago I put it back together the wrong way. Didn’t know to mark the bolts. I didn’t have the vehicle lifted but I still could have turned the front pinion one direction or another. Thanks all.

This pretty much sums up what in/out of phase is. You can pull the slip joint in the front, clean it, regrease it and install it "in phase".

If you have questions talk to @Tools R Us

I just got out from under the cruiser to recheck the drive lines. Both front and back are out of phase but by less than 90. In my time owning it I’ve never disassembled the drive line or messed with the slip yokes so it’s been out of phase for over four years and this is a new noise. When I was resealing the front diff I realized that when I took off the front drive line from the diff housing I did not mess with the slip yoke at all so I didn’t change the phase at all.

I just got out from under the cruiser to recheck the drive lines. Both front and back are out of phase but by less than 90. In my time owning it I’ve never disassembled the drive line or messed with the slip yokes so it’s been out of phase for over four years and this is a new noise. When I was resealing the front diff I realized that when I took off the front drive line from the diff housing I did not mess with the slip yoke at all so I didn’t change the phase at all.

Take pictures of the front and rear driveline and I will be able to tell you for a fact if they are out of phase. The rear if it is actually out of phase you might have to cut the DL and have it rewelded and balanced. With the front, you would just have to pull the slip joint, clean, regrease and install in phase.

Scott

Take pictures of the front and rear driveline and I will be able to tell you for a fact if they are out of phase. The rear if it is actually out of phase you might have to cut the DL and have it rewelded and balanced. With the front, you would just have to pull the slip joint, clean, regrease and install in phase.

Scott

Obviously the last few are of the rears. Lighting is a little rough lemme know if you need more.

The rear is definitely out of phase it needs to be IN phase.

Front appears to be IN phase and it should be 90 degrees out of phase.

Also, both DS should have the slip yoke to the FRONT of the truck. That mean the rear should be on the transfer case and the front should be on the front diff.

As much as that is correct tmk, run in the orientation that makes your truck happy. Read to many posts over the years and some have better luck in various config. Flame away. My .00001 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom