Low noise from what seems the front diff. Sounds like a dishwasher. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
1992 FJ80 3FE on 3inch lift with 33’s factory gears and diff.

For the past four months I’ve had a low noise coming from the front end that increases repitition with speed from 15mph to 55 or so. Anything above that the wind and road noise cancels it all out. Not super noticeable unless you know the vehicle. Best description is similar to a dishwasher or washing machine. Not scraping or grinding per se but a low throaty grrrr grr grr with each rotation of what I presume to be the diff or transfer case. Anyhow looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and or fix. Non-performance issues at all in Hi-Lo or with lockers on.

Cheers!

i think at times i can hear my 80 making that sound. Usually about 55 or so and sounded like a low grunt over and over , then it disappears.

i think at times i can hear my 80 making that sound. Usually about 55 or so and sounded like a low grunt over and over , then it disappears.
Yeah at times it’s absent and then comes back but definitely for me noticeable at 25mph

Have you checked the grease level in your knuckles? Sounds like a dry axle bushing in your spindle.

Check your U-Joints. I had the exact same washing machine type noise on my 60 when I grenaded my rear U-Joint
Thank you for the advise. I have checked them for play and they have none and have been greased at each PM. But I’ve not ever replaced them in the five years that I’ve owned the vehicle so I’ll give that a shot.

Had the same noise after lift and axle rebuild.
Tore the axle down again, checked bushings and they looked good. No change in sound once I buttoned it back up.

Greased ujoints in front driveshaft and cut the noise down to 1/3 of what it was.

Greased rear ujoints and it took it down a tad further, but sound still exists.

Rebuild or replace is my next step, but I can live with it for right now.

If it oscilates (rises and falls while your at a steady speed) not a constant, then most likely uni joints or a driveshaft is unbalanced
It stays steady at a steady speed. Just increase in reputations as the vehicle accelerates.

Sounds like the noise is at a somewhat lower frequency, which would point to wheel bearings/and or spindle bushings opposed to driveshaft. How's your knuckles look? Diff fluid level? Check lower 4 bolts on knuckle as well.

not enough grease in: birfs & spindles

Get a set of "chassis ears" and mount them on the front diff to make sure that is where the sound is coming from. It might becoming from the front nose of your transfer case. If you haven't used "chassis ears", it is a listening device where you mount several listening devices on the stationary portions of your drive train. You then connect the wires to the associated box which is carried in the cab. You can actually drive down the road and listen to the front and rear noses of your transfer cases as well as your diffs. If it sounds like it is coming from your front diff with the chassis ears then you can move some of the listening devices to various spots on your front axle and pinpoint precisely where it is coming from before you start tearing into sections needlessly. There is probably someone in your club that has a set or your mechanic will be likely to have a pair and will help you pinpoint the sound. This works much better than the screw-driver to your ear while it is on the rack. You may find the noise is actually your u-joints. If you have done all of this....ignore my post.

Jack up wheels and spin them. Check for bearing play, knuckle grease level, small animals...

It may sound crazy but a tire rebalance and rotation worked for me. I thought I was going to have to rebuild the front end...saved myself a whole weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom